Aug 20, 2019

Rekém: a Letter from a Protagonist



Me: Legends have heroes. They're strong and brave, slaying armies and solving mysteries. But real life is different. People struggle.

And in The Torch Keepers, the heroes struggle too. So meet Rekém, one of the two protagonists of the novel.

Guys, he is amazing. Yet when you read his story, you might not think so. I've had readers despise this guy, wonder why he is so cruel and cold inside. He makes bad decisions. He hurts people. But the truth is that even strong people need Love.

I asked (*cough* told) him to write a guest post, and I gave him some guidelines too; he's not the sort of guy that's natural at this stuff. I think Rekém would rather fly on a flame-wing or fight some battles than sit down and write a letter.

But I twisted his arm.  XD  So take a moment to meet this guy who somehow struggles a lot like I do.





Rekém's Story


Welcome, untrained one. I am Rekém, but I'd prefer to be called "Sir."


Me: Um, seriously? Rekém, we're not in an army right now. This is called a blog post, and it's supposed to be informal. 


*sighs* Okay. Let's go with this then.

I'm a leader of the Liberation. I guess it was thrust upon me before I was really old enough to decide. Back then, all I thought about was how cool it was to fly on a flame-wing and be strong like my brother who is the Prince of Érkeos. I wanted to be like him. Courageous, bold, fierce.

And I am. I lead armies. I take over cities with our emerald fire. No one can stop us.

Being a leader is hard sometimes. People think we're perfect. And sometimes it's true, I mean, we've worked hard to get to where we are.

But life isn't perfect, and we aren't either.

*stops* Hey, Author, I think we need to start over. I don't like this. I need to do more of the professional outlook and less about me. Maybe a tour of the camp or a lesson on battle technique?


Me: Sorry, time slot's getting short. I think you're doing great.



*shakes head* I can't go here.


Me: Okay. Then let's keep this easy. Tell them what your dream is.


Oh...

I guess. Well, it's just hard to describe.

My dream. It sounds easy. Ha. But when do people get to dream?

When I was young, my dream was simple. I wanted to do big things. I wanted to be like Teion, my brother. I wanted him to be proud of me.

So I did that. I am doing big things. I'm strong, one of the best fighters, most adept generals. But honestly... sometimes it doesn't feel like it matters anymore.

If I'm honest, my dream changed. It got smaller. A lot.

If I could choose any life, it would be to fly from this mess. To go back to the Sea where I belong and be free. To hide from the war and the blood and the death and be able to shut my eyes and find something... peace?

I'd stop trying to be brave and strong and courageous. And I'd find someone to share life with, someone who knew what love was. Who didn't need me to do anything to earn it, just gave it freely.

But dreams. *snorts* They don't happen anymore. Érkeos is stained in rebellion, in this war that blots the maps of history, and I'm stuck in the middle.

One doesn't run from trials; one embraces them. And so I'll keep fighting this battle so that one day I can really be free.

So... there's that.


Me: Hey Rekém, thanks for this. Your honesty is really good. One last thing?



*shrugs*


Me: I'll take that as a yes.  Could you wrap up with some practical advice? What do you want people to learn from your story?


Wow, I don't know.  I mean, does anyone really even notice anything these days?

But, I mean, sure. For all the young people out there, I'd tell them what I always told myself:

Be different. Be stronger. Be radical for what you believe in.

If you serve the King, do it with everything. Or if you've been disappointed by him like I have, live everything for the Prince.

Do crazy things sometimes. Be a leader.

But never do things half-way. Never give up, give in, until the mission is accomplished.

There it is. And now I have training to lead.


                  // Rekém




Me: *releases breath* That wasn't as hard as I expected.

To wrap up, friends, Rekém is searching. He doesn't have all the answers, but his advice does remain the same.

Be radical. Don't let anything stop you from what matters.

Live everything for the King. He has a great purpose for you, and His Story is incredible.

One surprise before sharing Rekém's theme verse:

The Torch Keepers now has a personality test you can take to find out which character you are most like!  Click here!



Would not God search this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.
- Psalm 44:21



~♥~

6 comments:

  1. Being radical for Jesus is so important! Can I ask Rekem what he means when he says "Or if you've been disappointed by the King like I have, live everything for the Prince"? That statement was a little confusing to me, because God never fails us. Keep living radically, Hosanna=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! Thanks for your encouragement! And great question too. I hopped by to answer the question for Rekém, as I have a little more insight into his life than he does (he doesn't know there's going to be a book #2 yet). *laughs*

      Rekém, during the writing of this post, is in a hard place. He hasn't truly sought the King, and he's in a place of indecisiveness. Yes - the King NEVER fails! He is holy and just and oh, so good!! And Rekém will learn that one day too... it's just something that he hasn't stepped out to embrace yet. Thus, I couldn't force his guest post to be something totally in awe and love for the King like Emyir's was. But Rekém's learning in the King's good timing. And the King has a perfect story for him like He does for you. ♥

      Trying to explain without giving away spoilers. XD

      Thank you for asking good questions! I hope this helped. You're so loved!

      //Hosanna

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Hosanna! That makes sense:) Ooh, a sequel- so exciting! I'll be praying for you as you plan and write ❤

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much! I appreciate your prayers more than you know. ♥

      Delete
  2. Rekém sounds like a very real, very fascinating character already and I LOVE him. His voice comes through so clearly in this guest post. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Lila! You're so sweet and encouraging. ♥ Rekém is very special to me as a character, and his story reminds me that there is Truth, there is Peace, in Jesus... and if we seek Him, He will be found!

      You're awesome, girly! *hugs*

      Delete