Aug 6, 2019

Ir-Haran: a Letter from a Minor Character



Me: *whispers* Hey guys, it’s me, Hosanna. Today I’m interviewing Ir-Haran, a minor character from The Torch Keepers. Just wanted to stop in and ask for a little grace here; he’s young, so I’ll be helping him along. Thus, I might have to step in a bit, and my text will be in italics, like this is.


Enjoy getting to know this small guy. I hope you love him like I do.





















Ir-Haran's Story



Um, hi, my name is Ir-Haran, and I’m five, and I like sabbax deer ‘cause my daddy takes care of them in his stable, and I don’t really like to dance or stuff like that. 

Is that enough? 


Me: No, we just got started! 


Then what else? 


Me: Tell them something… what’s your favorite color? 


Oh, okay. 

Well, my favorite color is purple. I like it ‘cause it’s really nice. People say it’s a girl color, but I don’t think that matters. I still like it. 

But I guess if you read the Story, you won’t know I like purple. Ms. Author never says what my favorite color is. Actually, she doesn’t say a lot about me at all.

I’m only in one of those thingys—the pages with numbers at the start. What are they called again? 


Me: They’re called chapters. 


Oh yeah, I forgot. I’m only in one chapter. And I can’t talk a lot in the Story because I have to leave pretty fast. My friend Ka-Dara has lots and lots and lots of chapters! Ms. Author calls her a main character. I guess I’m a littler character, even though Ka-Dara and I are the same age. But she is taller than me.

Hey, I did get something cool though! Ms. Author gave me my own theme song. It's called "Our Destiny Lies Above Us", and I think it's neat. So you should listen to it. (click here)

But that’s not what Ms. Author asked me to talk about. She said, “tell them your purpose in the Story”, or somethin’ like that. 

I’m not in the Story a lot, but I still have a purpose. I have my own little stories that you’ll never know too. Those little stories change the big Story. That’s why Ms. Author wrote me. 

My part of the Story was important for Ka-Dara and for my sister Ir-Ivah. So even though I’m a littler character, I’m still important. 

Sometimes people are like that. I’m not amazing. I have freckles and am short for my age, and I’m not really good at things like my friends are. I only have one sister (and she's bossy). And my mom and dad only take care of sabbax deer in the stables in a desert city in the middle of nowhere. I mean, Ms. Author doesn't even tell you the name of the city.

But I still have a purpose in the Story. 

I guess even little people can do things. The Story would change if I was taken out—Ms. Author told me that she put me in for a reason. So maybe everyone’s like that. Maybe people all have reasons in the King's Story. 

I’m only in one…whatcha call it… oh, one chapter. But Ms. Author still wanted me to tell my story, ‘cause she wrote it for a reason. It’s a little like how the King makes people and gives them different lives (even little lives) for a big reason. 

So, that’s all. I hoped this worked, ‘cause I just told everything to Ms. Author and asked her to write it (my writing is not super good). She calls it narrate, and I like that, 'cause it makes me not sound so lazy.

I hope you read the Story and my special chapter. But even if you don’t, I hope you live your own Story. The King has a purpose for you too


                  // Ir-Haran 



Me: (psst) Isn’t he cute? Sometimes I just wanna squeeze that guy. 

A few things… Ir-Haran is shy, but I’m sure he’d be glad to respond to comments. Ask him anything!

And when The Torch Keepers comes out, make sure to read his chapter, remembering that every life has a purpose.

I’ll end with his theme verse. Even though Ir-Haran’s life may seem sad or insignificant (no spoilers, sorry!), it isn’t. And friend, yours isn’t either. We may be brought low, we might feel dry or separated from others, but there is Hope. 

The King loves you.

They are exalted for a little while,
Then they are gone.
They are brought low;
They are taken out of the way like all others;
They dry out like the heads of grain.

- Job 24:24
~♥~

4 comments:

  1. Awww, he's ADORABLE! I loved this interview. And what a simple yet important message. Thank you, Ir-Haran! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. *blushes* Thank you, Lila; I'm so happy that you enjoyed my little story. *covers face and smiles* //Ir-Haran

      Delete
  2. AnonymousMay 08, 2020

    Oh my, this one almost made me cry (and I don't usually cry for books)!! I just finished "The Torch Keepers," and I loved it!! I hardly noticed him in the book, but this makes me see him - and minor characters - differently. Thank you for sharing!
    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I love that, Abby! *hugs* This made me so happy. =)

      Yes!! As an author, every single minor character has such purpose, such a backstory and life that readers might ever know. And it's the same in real life; every person has a huge purpose and beauty, stories. God is the best Author. ♥

      You are so loved, Abby! Thank you for the sweet note.

      Delete