Mar 6, 2018

Dear Today | Rejoice in the Day






















Dear Today,

I had a good day.  I studied for a test and passed.  I had time to read my Bible, chat with fellow writers, and still had an empty afternoon ahead of me.  With my siblings under a soft, grey-blue sky, we pet chickens, discovered hidden nests, raced around a playground, climbed trees, balanced on fallen logs, exclaimed over newborn pets, and wiped away a few tears.  And as I write here, I smell dinner being cooked, and a brother just came in to say that another lamb was born.

Yes, it's a good day.

But recently, a friend proposed a question that's been stuck in my mind.  We often talk together about our weekly agendas and how life is going.  But, she asked me, what is it that makes a day good?  What do we mean when we have a "wonderful" verses an "okay" day?

After considering the question, I realized that I had everything wrong.  A "good" day for me was a day in which I felt happy.  Things were going the way I wanted them to.  It was all based upon me and my attitude and my schedule when, in truth, every single day is a beautiful gift.

This is the day the Lord has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.

God created day and night (see Genesis 1:5) and intertwined them into weeks, months, and years.  Every day has a purpose.  Doesn't that mean that every day is good?

No, they don't always go the way we want them to.  I just finished studying the Holocaust, and those days were terrible and dark.  Evil reigned as men murdered their neighbors.  Children died.  Families were separated.  How could that be good?  How could a genocide ever be good?

Or what about my simple, day-to-day life?  If I had failed my test today, could I still say today was good?  What if there was a car accident, an upset friend, or even cold water in my shower?

Despite all those things, today could still be a good day.  Because it's not about what happened in the moment.  It's about the truth.

And this is the truth:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today.

Disasters and dilemmas are hard.  We don't like suffering or failing or being uncomfortable.  But just like the plot twists in a book, they all turn out for beautiful ends.

I don't know why the Holocaust had to happen, but, even then, there was beauty in the pain.  Heroes like Corrie ten Boom, Irena Sendler, and Oskar Schindler stepped out to make a difference.  Countries united against evil as courage souls said "no!" to the darkness that threatened to overcome.

And whatever you're facing today - from broken relationships to stressful situations, it's still a good day.  It's a good day because Jesus is the same, and He's eager to save you if you trust Him.  Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord.

That's the difference between happiness and joy.  Happiness depends on the circumstances around us - was today a "happy" day?  But joy extends deeper, beyond the circumstances.  It's the assurance that God will be strong no matter what.  It's knowing that He's offering His love to us in every area of life, and He's at work in our lives.  What joy!

Instead of focusing on our own limitations and schedules, let's let go and rejoice!  God's in complete control over every aspect of your life (Luke 12:27-28).  Hebrews tells us to,

...exhort (encourage/warn) one another daily, while it is called “Today...”

Let's not waste our time.  We have today - let's use it.

How is your today, dear friend?  What struggles do you face, and how can I support you in your walk with Christ?  In what ways has God been strong for you?  I'd be thrilled to chat in the comments!






















Seek the Lord while He may be found,
Call upon Him while He is near.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
~♥~
photo credit: Pexels

9 comments:

  1. Amen! I find myself deciding if it’s a good or bad day based on how I feel, if I got a lot done or if something went great. But everyday is a beautiful gift, as you said, and we should rejoice in it! True joy is in all circumstances, deep joy that comes from Him. Jesus is good. And He is the same forever so He always remains good. It’s hard to see His goodness when going through hard times, or looking back at times such as the holocaust... but He remains Good forever. Have you read the Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom? It’s her autobiography and though some parts may be difficult to read it’s a great book.
    I’ve been learning recently more about prayer and how important it is.... and to say to God thy will be done (that’s actually what I’m posting about today). It’s hard to accept God’s will... especially when darkness is all around. Throughout everything that happens in my life I have to lean on God... that’s the only way I can live. Without Him life wouldn’t be worth living. He is my stength. I find it hard at times to be joyful... but I’m going to try praying about it.
    Thanks for sharing this Hosanna!!
    What about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Sarah! I agree that it's easy to look at outward circumstances to determine our perspective. Was it warm, was I productive, did I enjoy the day? But in reality, God has a good and perfect plan for today. No matter what you do. No matter what happens. He sees the big picture and has it all under control!

      Yes, the Hiding Place is a good example of that. I've read that book, although quite a while ago. Corrie was willing to sacrifice so much and still kept her eyes on what mattered most. How inspiring.

      When we had a miscarriage two years ago, that's what I learned through it all - to say, "Thy will be done." But Sarah, He works it out every time! Every obstacle, every fear, they're all part of His perfect plan! I'm still learning to be joyful in it all, but He has been faithful in teaching me. =)

      And I pray that He gives you joy as you seek to abide in His love and in prayer, my friend. ♥

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is so true! I often find myself thinking days are "good" or "okay" or "bad" based on what happened to me that day. But you're right- it's not about us, and every day that the Lord has made is worth rejoicing in! Thank you for sharing this reminder, and beautiful portions of Scripture. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Emily! He has a perfect plan for each and every day, despite whatever circumstances we might be facing. Today is beautiful because of the hope we have in Him. Let's be like the psalmists and praise God through every area of life - good or bad. And thank you for the encouragement. =)

      Delete
  3. Very well put! I particularly liked what you said about happiness and joy! Great post!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooklyne! Despite what curve-balls life might throw our way, we can rejoice because Jesus is always the same. I'm also thankful that He knows our fear and doubts and loves us anyway. =)

      Delete
  4. THIS. This post. It was just what I needed. God uses every single one of your posts as reminders that I really need. <3 Days become harder and harder and time as goes on, and I often consider hard days less good than easier days when I shouldn't! This is the day that the Lord has made - who am I to look down on it as a "bad" day?!

    Thank for this, Hosanna! It really hit home for me. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful that God used this post to encourage you, Lila! Yes - God has a wonderful plan in both easy and hard days. It's okay to admit that we're struggling, but we can't stay depressed when He offers joy. Let's rejoice in Jesus! ♥ Press on, my friend!

      Delete