Mar 13, 2018

A Week on the Farm


So you live on a farm and the main animal caretaker takes a week-long break.  What happens?  I'm beginning to find out.  (and yes, I'm expecting a very exciting week coming up)



I typically post here about my walk with Christ and the different lessons He teaches along the way.  But while that happens, I also live life.  Sometimes that includes several hours of school mixed in with normal chores and hobbies, but this week is different.  And I'm a firm believer that the mundane (or crazy) events in life can draw us closer to Jesus.

That's what this post is about.  Here's a glimpse into what life is like on the farm.

Spring is a beautiful time in the country.  Already, I've discovered a dozen varieties of flowers in bloom, and trees are budding in soft whites, violets, and greens.  The air became warm, grass grew, and the animals began to enter birthing season.

Within one week, we had around 14 lambs and kids (baby goats) born on our farm.  Little, black legs began to jump and skip around the pasture.  Frantic "maa"s filled the air as babies forgot their play and realized that their milk source was half-way across the pasture.  Quick skips and hops ensued, colorful streaks across the green grass.

Although I wish that happy picture was farm life in its entirety, there was more.  Despite the newborns, getting a dozen eggs a day, and happy dogs in spring air, the temperature dropped.

My 15 year old brother left yesterday to attend the Christian Worldview Film Festival in Franklin TN.   To say it simply, he's #1 in charge of watching over the sheep and goats.  So when he left, I was pulled into animal duty with my sister (who is also an animal pro).  After only a handful of hours, things turned sour.

Night arrived, and we stayed up until midnight.  Between dozing, my sister and I prayed for and watched a weak lamb struggle between life and death.  And then as the clock struck twelve, it gave in and grew still - perfect, little, white body.

Morning dawned, and we dragged ourselves out of bed.  Or, I did.  My sister was feeling sick, so I became the primary animal caretaker.   Me with my love of goats.  (I mean, they're cute...but...?)  Watching, feeding, herding, and taking care of 35+ animals didn't sound the most fun way to spend my week

But it's exciting.  I'm excited to see the new arrivals on our farm.  I'm excited to step out and do something I don't normally do.  I'm excited to discover how God uses it to stretch and grow me (He's already started!).

Farm life isn't always beautiful.  It's not always fun.  But in every area of life - including chores and long nights and tears - He's eager to shape us into the person we were meant to be: a person with a heart like His.

It reminds me of Solomon's words.

To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born,
    And a time to die...
A time to break down,
    And a time to build up;
A time to weep,
    And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
    And a time to dance; 
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-4

After I woke up this morning, I stared outside the window.  The dark shapes of trees stood with a crown of snow.  White flakes covered the spring grass and swept around hills.  With sunlight streaming upon blinding whiteness, the world glistened fresh and beautiful and soft.

Because in every moment of life, there's beauty.  Despite everything, He is strong.

If you're spending a week on the farm, struggling with balancing all the tasks on your shoulders, or feeling alone when a friend leaves your side, remember that there's whiteness in a dark world.  There's hope.  There's love.  There's a purpose.





















For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? ... Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
~♥~

14 comments:

  1. I really love farm work, but we had a sudden snow storm yesterday that we weren't able to prepare for...which meant I had to get hay in my car (not the farm truck)...which meant putting the hay /in/ the trunk and on the roof and basically making a mess. But the animals are fed and warm, and that is more important than my time and the cleanliness of my car. But perhaps that is something I needed to learn. :) I need to be a good steward over the animals He has given me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Julian! Thank you for sharing that experience; it gave me a good laugh. XD I can't imagine shoving all that hay into a car in the middle of a snow storm, but at least the smell of hay is a pleasant one to drive in. ;) (not that I've had that experience, but I can imagine it) =)

      Yes, God can teach us through every situation we experience! And sometimes He uses life to make other people smile. =) Thank you for stopping by to share a snippet of your life.

      Delete
  2. Hosanna, I love all of your posts. Each one is full of truth and beauty and yet it's simple and not "over-done" either. Thank you, dear <3!

    I am so sorry to hear about the little goat that didn't make it :(. I was offered a free baby goat a couple weeks ago... I wanted him, but I didn't have anywhere to put him, haha! I love animals, though.

    Thanks for this reminder... to everything there is a season. And there is hope. And love. And purpose. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet encouragement, Bri! I'm thankful that my words were able to bless you. ♥

      Animals are a fun part of life. And if you don't have room for a baby goat, why not keep him inside? ;) haha. That would be an adventure...

      Yes - to everything there is a season! Sometimes the seasons are cold or windy, but they still have purpose. Let's live knowing that He has a plan for today, for tomorrow, and for the future. God is always good, and you are always loved.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the mundane and crazy and life can be used to draw us closer to Christ. “There’s hope. There’s love. There’s a purpose” - beautiful reminder :).
    Thanks for sharing this Hosanna! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet encouragement, Sarah! I'm glad that this post encouraged you. =) Never give up, my friend!

      Delete
  4. Hosanna, I can completely relate to this post. Eight or so years ago, my mom decided to start a hobby farm with goats and sheep. It's been a crazy journey, but I've learned so much. Just recently a few weeks ago in the midst of lambing season, my mom and dad were gone having dinner at a friends' house. Of course, we'd have a lamb born then. Fortunately, my little sister, who has become a pro at all things animals (and for that has my highest esteem), was with me. The reason it was any trouble was because the baby was stuck, and we weren't sure if it could breathe. To make a long story short, my sister ended up having to assist the mother, and to our pure joy, it was breathing! It was such a precious gift from God when we had almost started expecting it to be born still-born because its tongue was out and turning blue.

    Your words "Farm life isn't always beautiful. It's not always fun. But in every area of life - including chores and long nights and tears - He's eager to shape us into the person we were meant to be: a person with a heart like His," are just so true. I just pray that I am willing to be intentional about letting God mold me in the area of my barn chores/farmlife that I quite often am tempted to just do without thinking.

    Thanks you, Hosanna, for this beautiful reminder and post.

    -Karis M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cool story, Karis! I think we have a lot in common; my little sister has also delivered animals that were having difficulties. Aren't siblings a gift from God? (haha, so we don't have to do it) =)

      God can use every single scenario we encounter to turn us into the person He created us to be. In your exciting evening, He led you through a stressful time to show you that He was in control all along. We can live a perfect, "godly" life, but if we don't let Him live through us, what will we gain?

      Thank you for sharing your story, Karis. It's only been a week since I posted this, but I need to be reminded every day. To live is Christ. Do we really realize that?

      I'm thankful for you. ♥

      Delete
  5. Yes, siblings are. :) Truly just as encouragement and for the valuable lessons they teach us, as well as to do our chores and help give birth to animals for us. :P

    That's so true, Hosanna. We don't gain anything by not allowing Him to use us. We rob ourselves out of the privilege of serving our Savior, and also we rob others the blessings we could be to them if we were truly willing to reflect our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, siblings teach us so many important lessons! And they help us realize how beautiful people are with their own unique gifts, talents, and even pet peeves. =)

      That's true, Karis. If we let God write out story, what beauty can come out of it. Thank you for reminding me of that today!

      Delete
    2. That's so true!

      I'm glad to have reminded you, and SUPER EXCITED to hear that I'm actually going to be able to meet you this May at the Glory Writers Retreat that Victoria Lynn's hosting. *beams* My day is made!

      -Karis

      Delete
    3. *gasp* You! I just realized that you're going to be there, Karis! How exciting!! The introvert inside of me is panicking that I'm actually going to a retreat, but we have to step out of our comfort zones for God, right? It will be wonderful to meet you!! ♥

      Delete
  6. Yep, I'm the same Karis. ;) I'm super thrilled about the retreat (and meeting you!), but am getting nervous too. I'm normally more of an extravert, but the idea of meeting so many girls, I only have known through Goodreads and other online sites, is a little nerve racking. I know the retreat will be a blessing to us girls so much. :)

    -Karis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled as well, Karis! I'm grateful that God opened up this opportunity for us... He's amazing! =)

      Delete