Dec 15, 2018

Christianity in Real Life || Surrender


If anyone could say they were always a Christian, that would be me.

I chose to follow Christ before I could even read the Bible.  Just exiting my toddler years, I knew there was a God who could save me from my sins.  I was scared of Hell and wanted His salvation.

Years passed, and I did all the right things.  I went to church once (or twice) a week.  I worshiped.  I prayed.  I read my Bible every day.

But sometimes, after those precious moments with Jesus, I would open my bedroom door and get a blast of real life in my face.  It was like my quiet times with Jesus were this secret haven where I was safe.  Out in the boisterous world, those Christ-like qualities vanished.

I wondered if I could have Christianity in my real life.  If those moments of peace could transcend into the craziness of schedules and noise and interruptions and distractions.  But now I'm wondering something else.

What if those serene times with Jesus are real life?



   
It's like we're in this wooden box.  Outside of the box is this glorious world - Heaven - but we only see these walls that are separating us from it.  They're rough.  Hard.  When I touch them, splinters pierce my fingertips.

But when I become still and focus on Jesus, He shows me a small break in the wood.  I peer out.  And there, my eyes are blinded by color, light, beauty.  I see a flash of color, a flash of Heaven and His glory.

It's the real world, and we can experience it.  But sometimes, we instead choose to focus on the here and now.  Instead of looking for the fragments of shalom in our world, we see the stain of brokenness and sin.

Is there a way to bring that beauty into our daily life, or does peace stop when we close our Bibles and leave our quiet place?

That's the question the Lord has been gently revealing to me.  I had all sorts of awesome verses to back up my heart, but somewhere, the references got lost.  Maybe I'll find them later.  But right now, I need to express part of myself that's a desire I desperately long for.

The key is surrender.

Every single morning, I wake up with the same thoughts in my head.  They're selfish.  Ugly.  And from the second my eyes open up, the enemy is pulling me into his territory and trying to claim my day for himself.

When I live for myself, I let the enemy have control.  I do what makes me happy.  I accomplish goals and reach deadlines, but ultimately I'm left so empty and tired.  The things that should make me most joyful are a hollow shell.  I'm looking at the wooden walls and trying to draw a picture of what's outside instead of letting Jesus show me the real thing, the glory of Himself.

But oh - one of the most beautiful and painful words is surrender.  It's painful because I don't like to let go.  But when I do, that day is one I treasure and rejoice in.

When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches.
- Psalm 63:6

To surrender means to say, "Yes, Jesus, You can do whatever You want with my day."  It means that everything I do - from my quiet time with Him, writing emails to far away friends, cooking up some muffins, laying in bed awake, or watching lectures for school - everything is done for Jesus.

Every aspect of my day is done prayerfully.  I rejoice in them.  I thank Him, ask Him for help, tell Him my problems.  I ask Him what would please Him most.

That's Christianity in real life - letting go of everything to just hold onto Him.

O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek you;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.
- Psalm 63:1 

It's not always this glorious beauty though.  Last week, it meant me watching so many school videos that droned on and on.  But I strove to rejoice in them.  I shared the moments with Him.  I praised Him when He helped me answer questions.  When I failed, I asked for His help.

It's this best-friend relationship, and I love it.  He shows me the beauty of everyday life when I surrender to His guidance.



     
I want to find Heaven on this earth.  In the extraordinary and in the mundane, Jesus is good.  And all my schedules, plans, dreams, they're all nothing unless they are done with the right heart.

Maybe that's what He looks for - a heart surrendered to Him.  It's not about what we do.  We can accomplish "good" things and still fall short.  But where is our heart?

So I have looked for You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
- Psalm 63:2

Dear friend, don't ever let yourself fall short of something so much bigger He wants to give you.  Surrender is the most beautiful decision you can make.  Give every day to Him, every decision to Him, and seek to find Real Life.

Maybe you said that prayer as a child like I did.  But don't stop there.  God has a much bigger plan for you, for us, and we can't let life surround us like a wooden box when there's this huge, beautiful Heaven just outside of it.  Seek Jesus to find that joy.

Because Your lovingkindness if better than life,
My lips shall praise You.
- Psalm 63:3

Christianity doesn't stop when we close the Bible.  It should begin with the Lord and continue to impact our every day.  That's what relationships are.

Don't do the right things; seek His heart and love.

You're never alone.





 
Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.
- Psalm 63:4-5

~♥~

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this heart-felt post, Hosanna! <3 What a great reminder to surrender our all to Him!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it encouraged you, Brooklyne - thank you for the sweet note! We'll never regret surrendering ourselves to Jesus. ♥

      Delete
  2. This is such beautiful truth. God is amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! Thank you for the encouraging note, dear Lila. ♥

      Delete
  3. You are so welcome; Merry Christmas, Regine! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Hosanna. Surrender is so important. It’s a word that I keep coming back to. It’s a daily process. Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely! Every day we have to make the decision to surrender. But what a joy when we let the Lord write our life story! Merry Christmas to you too, dear Sarah!

      Delete