Oct 9, 2018

You Have a Purposeful Calling


God has a purpose for you.

When I was little, that purpose was on the forefront of my mind, but I often searched for it in the wrong places.  I dreamed of what I would do when I grew up, who I would be, how I would change the world.  When friends came over, we'd ask the same question.  "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

And I had a lot of answers.  At first, I wanted to be a mom with ninety-nine daughters and one son (poor guy, I know).  Then my ideals matured to the idea of becoming a clown.  Sadly, I was never funny, nor did I like being the center of attention.  New dreams came and fell.  I'd be a jockey riding in horse races.  Or a missionary sharing the Gospel with cannibals in unknown lands.

But now I am a little older, and God has different plans for me.  I know a portion of my calling - to share His overwhelming beauty through writing.  In the future, I desire to raise a household of children for Him.  It's a good purpose but not entirely complete.

There's a calling so much more important.



   
If you know your future purpose or not, it's really not a big deal.  Because right now, right here, God has something bigger in store.

Before the creation of the world, He knew you (Jeremiah 1:5).  He knew your fears, your weaknesses, the way you'd fail.  And He has a perfect plan for you.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
- Jeremiah 29:11-13

We all want to know our future, and the Lord has it all planned out for us perfectly.  But there's something more important.

Our calling is to call upon Him, go and pray to Him, and seek Him with all our heart.

No matter what job we have, what house we live in, what our dreams are, that's our calling: to passionately want Jesus more than anything and seek Him with all.

When Jesus left earth, He gave us our purpose in life.

And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.  And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;  they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."
- Mark 16:15-18

It's not that our specific calling or occupation isn't important.  As Christians, what we do isn't less important; it's actually way more vital because the way we live can make a difference for eternity.

You could have any job or dream, but your calling is the same: to be ambassadors of Jesus to a lost world (2 Corinthians 5:20).  In a word, our calling is Jesus.

You are not a label.  When I was young and searching for my purpose, I wanted a label.  I wanted something to present as who I was.  But it would be selling ourselves short to find a profession, give our lives to it, and think that's all there is to it.

The real label that should define us isn't "college degree" or "profession."  Our definition should be Christ.

So we live every moment for Him.  I write in order to honor Him.  Maybe you babysit or dance or write essays or grow gardens or perform in movies.  Do it for Jesus.  We might not know the next step or what the future holds, but we know Who holds our future.  So live it for Him.

I had to make that decision this week.  After pressing on through school for 12+ years, I finally saw the end goal in sight, the day when I could be done, graduate college, and pursue what I feel is God's real calling for me.  And then things happened.  Classes weren't accepted, and I have another semester of work.

It's not my plan, and I don't like it.  But He has a purpose for me in these months, and I am choosing to rejoice in that.

Dear friend, live today rejoicing in Christ.  Don't worry about tomorrow, because He has a purpose for it.

And it's perfect for you.  Maybe not what you expect, but His plans are greater.

Don't wait to do hard things and live radically until you're an adult or until you reach a certain place in life.  Start being the person He has called you to be right now, and let Him take care of the rest.  He can write your life story better than you ever could.

My job right now might be taking college classes, but that can't hold me back from seeking Him with all my heart.  That can't stop me from pursuing the goals He has put on my heart.

You have a purpose.

My friend Jessica worded it perfectly, and I'll end with her thoughts, "You are chosen to be a child of God, first and foremost, and there’s always a place by His side for you. That is your purpose."  (read her post, What Does Purpose Look Like?)




   
So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.  And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs.  Amen.
- Mark 16:19-20
 ~♥~

20 comments:

  1. This post is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much! Like, wow, I really needed to read this! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful! ♥ Keep seeking Jesus above all, dear Brooklyne.

      Delete
  2. This post is so beautiful and full of truth! I agree with Brooklyne. Definitely something I needed to read! And I'm so proud of you, friend, for pressing on with college even through the disappointments. You're amazing and you're going to make it! What a joyous day that will be. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, you're such an encouragement! Thank you for all the prayer and blessings you always give - and girl, you have a purposeful calling too. Don't forget that. ♥ You are so very loved.

      Delete
  3. It was cool to see how this post fits perfectly with my recent thoughts on purpose! Thanks for sharing! It's so true, and somehow I feel like in searching for grand and noble things, we've overlooked the purpose God places right in front of each of us. Thanks again, and keep pressing on in joy! You're such an inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! It's a delicate balance, isn't it? We should desire to be bold and search for grand and noble things, but God also calls us to be still and know that He is God... to love Him with all. It reminds me that we should seek first the Kingdom of God. Then we'll discover God's true, noble purpose for us.

      I've appreciated your encouraging posts, Jess. Thank you for being faithful to share His truth. I pray for you today with joy. ♥

      Delete
  4. I LOVE THIS! it's so so true and overwhelming at times. so glad you wrote this today <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, you are so treasured! Rejoice in His purposeful calling, dear friend. ♥

      Delete
  5. I was just reading Jeremiah 29 yesterday!
    It’s fun, at times, to imagine our futures. Careers, home, kids.... but our ultimate purpose is Jesus. We exist on this earth to bring honor and glory to His name.
    Thanks for sharing this, Hosanna. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremiah 29 is one of my favorite passages! ♥ Oh yes, Sarah, our ultimate purpose is Jesus - let's live like it. And thank you for the encouragement! *hugs*

      Delete
  6. These words are so lovely and needed. I've loved both yours and Jessica's recent posts about the purpose for our lives. Thanks for sharing a little of your journey as you inspire others! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words brightened my day, Emily! Thank you for the sweet encouragement. Keep seeking your true purpose - to adore Christ and know Him more and more. ♥

      Delete
  7. I love the things you wanted to be as a young child! We used to tease our parents as they had 10 children that we were all going to have 10 children and they would have 100 grandchildren, but I never dreamed of having 100 myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! My family has a similar goal as we also have 10 ten kids in the house... except we have been planning for 50 grandkids. =) Children are definitely a gift from the Lord! Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  8. Hosanna Emily, what an encouraging post! I am inspired by this wonderful Scripture: Philippians 3:10a Amplified Bible: "For my determined purpose is that I may know Him that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly..." It really helps me to know and believe that my determined purpose is to know our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving, recognizing, and understanding the WONDERS of His Person more strongly and clearly every day. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that lovely passage, Beth! That should be our deepest desire - to know Christ more deeply and intimately. ♥ Let's keep seeking that Love that surpasses all else. Press on, friend!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful, and absolutely true! Our main purpose in life is to simply sit at God's side, resting and receiving. In so doing, He will guide our steps, and show us the way.. HIS way.

    LOVE your bio!! Nice to "meet" you in this space! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a delight to meet you, Rachel! And thank you for sharing such truth - our purpose in life is Christ. He supplies all we need for life and Godliness. What more could we ask for?

      Keep following the Lord's path, dear friend! ♥

      Delete