Oct 24, 2018

Keep Burning, Keep Trusting


Dear Friend, let me tell you a story.

You're in a room with a roaring fire.  Wisps of orange mix with yellow and red in the flames as they leap high under the rough, brick mantle.  You can smell bits of smoke mixed with the faintest hints of cedar wood.

But as you watch, a man hurries to the fire.  Bucket in hand, he pours it onto the flames, and they hiss, fighting against his work.  When the bucket runs out, he hurries to refill it and returns, dumping gallon after gallon of water into the flames.

They don't die.  Somehow, with every drop that sizzles in the burning flames, the fire only grows.

So you turn, walk around to the back of the chimney where you can see the rear of the fire.  And there another man kneels.  Gently, he pours a curved pitcher into the base of the fire and deep, black liquid flows - oil.

Two fighting forces.  One side fights to kill the fire, the other slowly builds it higher and stronger.

The oil caresses the flames even though they can't see it.  Still, the fire roars at the man with the water as he tries to quench its heat.  Some flames die, others quiver under the water's touch.  But they never go out.

And you realize something.  The fire doesn't know, but it's kept alive - not by its own strength but by the oil that's gently poured into its roots.

(story adapted from John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress)





That fire represents our faith.  And we're under attack.

The enemy has cold water to douse our hope, and, honestly, we're helpless against his schemes.  What can a small fire do against so much water?

Yet we're not alone.  Christ is always there being our strength when we are weak.  He is our shelter in the storm, our oil when we burn low.  Even if all else fails, if God is for us, who can be against us?  (Romans 8:31)

That was my life last week.

On Monday, I had plans for what great posts I would write up for this blog.  I had a whole week ahead of me - a week to accomplish goals, grow stronger, do things I never did before.  But that Monday morning, it all shattered.

A friend died.

He was like a brother to me and my little brother's best friend.  After fighting cancer for 10 months, our friend went to be with Jesus.

It should have been a time of celebration - Heaven is a wonderful, beautiful destiny, and we are thankful for our friend's victory over sickness, death, pain.  But we also felt broken.  It sounds so selfish to miss someone who's in such a better place, but we did.  We mourned.  We hurt.

And then I thought I healed.  I moved on, tried to forget, and busied myself with other things.  If I was that fire, it was like the enemy gave me a break as he refilled his bucket.  I thought I was okay.

But on the day of the celebration of our friend's life, it all crashed down again.  I remembered every memory, every thing that I missed with our friend being gone.  As we worshiped together during his memorial service, I tried to sing along, but the words came out in broken sobs.

There were so many questions:  Why?  If I had faith, why did it not work out like I prayed for it to?  Didn't God care?  Didn't He love?

With them slowly came answers.  I felt that pitcher of oil pour into my dying flames.  And even though I still don't understand completely, I am not extinguished.






Yes, God loves.

As I walked outside in bitterly cold air, my heart matched the dropping temperatures.  But I looked up.  A monarch butterfly flew across my path.  I turned away, kept walking, but remembered.

Later, sitting at my desk, my eyes wandered out the window.  Sunlight pierced through a green field, edged in the brown of autumn.  Somehow, the light brightened the world and made it glow.  I stopped everything I was doing and embraced it.

And so many other little reminders:  yes, God loves.

I don't understand why, but He still loves.


For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, not height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 
- Romans 8:38-39

He doesn't only love us, but He has a purpose in everything - even if it's not the purpose we imagine or dream.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
- Romans 8:28

As I felt the fresh pain of loss, He brought an idea into my mind.  I'm a writer.  In my current WIP, my main character experiences death firsthand.  She is alone, weak, scared.  Life turns upside down in ways she doesn't expect.  And she wants to give up.

As an author, I hurt with my characters.  I care about them.  I cry when I make them suffer.

But I know the big picture.  In the end of her story, my character will be stronger.  She has a beautiful, wonderful ending to her story, and she just needs to trust me to bring it to pass.

It's the same with us.

I don't know why things happen the way they do, but God has a purpose.  The end of our story is beautiful - Heaven with Jesus forever.  Even though right now it hurts, we have a good inheritance (Psalm 16:5-6).  We might never find out why, but we can always declare,

The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the Lord.
- Job 1:21

 I believe God hurts when we experience pain (John 11:35-36, Hosea 11:3-4,9 read the surrounding chapters for full context - so rich!).  But sometimes, that difficult time is what helps us grow most.

And when we're hurting, we can remember that there's Someone behind us, fueling our flames with oil and never leaving us nor forsaking us.

There's so much more I learned from this time of mourning; I'm so, so thankful for it.  I'm learning to love others more.  To savor my time.  To rejoice.

But dear friend, what buckets of water is the enemy throwing on your flames?  What trials do you face, and how can I pray for you and be an encouragement?

You are never alone, and you are so loved.  God has a plan.

Weak and wounded sinner,
Lost and left to die,
O, raise your head for Love is passing by 
Come to Jesus,
Come to Jesus,
Come to Jesus and live
...
Sometimes the way is lonely,
And steep and filled with pain,
So if your sky is dark and pours the rain 
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus
Cry to Jesus and live
- Untitled Hymn (Come to Jesus)



  

But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
- Isaiah 40:31

(ps) A lovely author wrote a post that blessed me today in this topic.  Click to read God's Masterpiece by Aleigha C. Israel.

 ~♥~

21 comments:

  1. I love your words and heart, friend! <3 Praying for you all! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aleigha! You have been such a sweet encouragement. ♥

      Delete
  2. What an amazing story/analogy! That is a great way to picture the spiritual battle we are in! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly appreciate your analogy. It brought me back to The Pilgrims' Progress and the ever so many examples that are represented in the story. I have had a hard time with this. I couldn't attend, so I watched the live feed...for a while, then I couldn't handle it anymore. Everyone acts like I have no faith because I question everything. Not true. I trust, but I struggle with not having answers (sounds like I just admitted they are correct). I just think it is important to know, but that's where faith takes over; I have to trust that all of this chaos is somehow going to work good in its time.
    Anyway, thanks for your insightful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of good thoughts there, and, honestly, they are struggles that I face too. I often go back to Mark 9:24 and cry out to God, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" I hate the doubts, but we can't pretend they aren't there. We need to carry them to Jesus and combat them with His truth - His Word is truth (John 17:17).

      You've gone through a lot of hard things, and I can't say I know what that feels like. But I do know that God has a purpose. Trust (belief) is easier when we see the path before us, but we have to trust that He has a plan even when we can't see around the next bend in the road.

      Thank you for sharing your heart! I pray that Christ reveals Himself to you abundantly.

      Delete
  4. Amen! Great post Hosanna! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is hard, but God is good. Visiting you today from the link up on be thee inspirited. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, God is so good and faithful! Keep living for Him, Lauren! ♥

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry about your friend, Hosanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RD, for the kind words! Sometimes we go through hard times in life, but it reminds me of the beautiful future with Christ those have who love the Lord with all their hearts. Christ is faithful!

      Delete
  7. Hosanna ❤. I am so sorry for your loss, but how beautiful that you can see the Lord at work, all the same ❤. (hugs)
    Rejoicing in Hope,
    Bri ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bri, you are such a blessing! (hugs back) Yes, the Lord is faithful in everything, at all times. Don't every forget how loved and treasured you are by the King of Kings, dear friend! ♥

      Delete
  8. You have a beautiful name and heart. I wrote also about a friend who died. Blessings as you and your friends heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sue! Even in this hard time, remember that the Lord has a plan and purpose. Our lives are completely His. "The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

      Delete
  9. When someone you care about passes away, it's hard. If they were a believer there is hope and joy in the fact that they have gone to heaven, but it still hurts. I'm sorry for your loss, Hosanna. I'm glad that you've been able to see God, despite - or perhaps in the midst of - your grief.
    While we would at times love to live life without heartache, pain, grief, and trials, it's those times when we grow the most. Gold is only refined by going through the fire. We don't truly appreciate the sunshine until we've lived through the storm.
    Ecclesiates 3:4 says, "A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance."
    There is a time for everything. I hope that this time continues to draw you closer to God.
    Thank you for sharing this, Hosanna. Amazing, heartfelt, post. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, what sweet, encouraging words you share! Even though the times to mourn hurt, they are also so beautiful. As you said, we are able to see God in the midst of our grief - or perhaps because of it. It's contrary to human nature, but what if we actually prayed for hardships so that we could draw nearer to Christ?

      Anyway, some thoughts and musings. I hope this reply finds you rejoicing in life - in the sunshine, rain, or storm. You are so very loved, dear friend, and thank you for the encouraging note!

      Delete
  10. Oh, dear friend. I had no idea you've been grieving the loss of a friend and brother. Doesn't it show how much can be going on in others' lives that we don't know about? I hope you have felt the freedom to mourn the physical loss of this friend. In God's world, there's a time for that as well as a time to laugh and dance. And if you are rejoicing already, then I rejoice with you, but do take time to engage with the Lord in both.

    My thoughts are with you, dear friend.

    With love, Jordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Jordy! Thank you for the sweet encouragement. I'm thankful that the Lord is with us in both the times of mourning and the times of laughter; He has been (and continues to be) so faithful!

      Your kind words mean so much. Whatever is going on in your life today (or tonight), know that you are dearly loved and prayed for, my friend!

      Delete
    2. I love you too, dear friend. You're such a precious one. xx

      I'm so thankful for our Lord's faithfulness in your life and how He leads you gently. <3

      Delete