Nov 28, 2017

Project Love || Living Prayer






















Sometimes I forget that prayer is powerful.

I forget – that is – until He reminds me.  And this week I received one of those reminders when a prayer I had almost given up praying for was answered.  It seemed impossible and far-fetched, but it happened.  Because God.

But prayer leaves me with so many questions.  It's like an endless prairie without a tree in sight.  I can search with my eyes, but it goes on and on until fading into the deep, blue sky.  Where's the end?  Can we ever discover it?

Maybe we'll travel forever.  Maybe the end will never be in sight.  But that's okay.  If we take a step, we're closer.  One step closer.

That's what prayer is.  We can never completely grasp it and have all the answers.  I mean, this is powerful!  Sinful humans speaking with the everlasting God?  Why?  How?

But when we take one step, it's one step deeper into a relationship with Him.  And I want that.

Today I was feeling discouraged.  It was a good day, yet I had so many questions.  I couldn't even piece them together, but they were there.  How does one have a prayer life?  Is it sitting down for a solid hour with a Bible or praying throughout the day?  What about when my mind wanders?  Or when I just forget?  What then?  Am I just a failure?

As the sun began to set, shining blinding rays into our eyes, my little brother and I went on a hike.  We walked on a trail through the woods.  Our feet sounded like an army over the crisp, dry leaves, but the squirrels continued to chatter and race through the overhanging branches.  And there, in the silent beauty of winter, my brother shared an analogy that helped me take one step further into the endless prairie.

What if life was a path?  Trees surrounded me as God, my best Friend, walked by my side.  We went through life, turning at each bend and climbing over trees that fell in our way.  Sometimes we would teeter on stepping stones through muddy ground until reaching the other side.

And while we traveled, we talked.  We laughed at the squirrels that interrupted our quiet walk.  When I saw a hanging vine, a green sprig despite the cold air, or a cow lowing in the distance, I paused and thanked Him.  We were friends, living life together.

Sometimes, I grew silent.  We walked that way together.  It wasn't that I was upset or busy – sometimes being in His presence was enough.  He held my hand, and we didn't always have to speak.  Our hearts were stronger than words.

But when I had a question, I asked.  When I was glad, I thanked Him.  When I was frightened, I came near His side.  Everything drew me closer to God.

Do we live out this type of prayer?

Are our lives spent by His side?  Does every beautiful thing around us make our lips utter praise?  When we're busy or stressed or scared, do we lift the moment up in prayer?  Are our eyes turned upon Jesus, looking full in His wonderful face?

So often, I start my day in prayer but end up living for myself.  I start running down the path of life instead of savoring each moment with Him.  I forget,

...men always ought to pray and not lose heart.  - Luke 18:1  
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; - Romans 12:12 
Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; - Colossians 4:2 
Pray without ceasing. - 1 Thessalonians 5:17 
Is anyone among you suffering?  Let him pray.  Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. - James 5:13 
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. - James 5:16

There are so many other verses.  So much truth waiting to be discovered.

I want to live a life of prayer, walking side by side with God through every twist and turn.  Let's start by taking the first step.  Let's step out.  Seek Jesus.  And give our lives away.

But how?  That's your question.  How are you going to step out and Love?  How can we love God through prayer?

It's an adventure.  Take the first step.


~♥~

6 comments:

  1. That's a great analogy. A relationship with God, walking along with Him by our side... not always talking but content in His presence, asking Him questions and thanking Him when seeing beautiful things. Thanks for this reminder Hosanna :). Prayer is such a beautiful thing yet sometimes we turn it into a chore or something not important. Prayer is powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for the analogy. =) It changes life when we view it as being lived by God's side. He's with us in every moment - when I'm strong, weak, sad, tired, excited. And He cares. That's such an incredible thought. He cares about every single moment. Prayer isn't a chore; it's a wonderful gift that I often forget. And, as you said, it's powerful!

      How do you put prayer into action? Do you have habits or reminders to abide in Christ throughout the day? I'd be interested to hear what this aspect of the Christian walk looks like for you. =)

      Delete
    2. Well I guess I'm still working on praying more... which as you said is a journey :). In the mornings when I spend time in God's Word then I start off worth praying. In the back of my Bible journal then I write down prayer requests- though eventually I want to have a prayer journal. Sometimes I pray at random times, and I usually talk to God at night ... especially if I can't fall asleep. While I pray prayer requests and praise Him I also sometimes just talk to Him about my day as strange as that might sound... like if I've had a hard day then I'll tell Him about it and ask for His help, for patience too. Also at times if I've sitting outside or walking down the street or whatever then I'll just talk to Him (though not always out loud if people are around :) ). With prayer then I just try to remember to pray anytime.... which I'm still learning to do or course.
      Reminders or habits to abide in Christ throughout the day?... mhmmm, well as I already put then I try to spend time in God's Word everyday and pray. Sometimes I have random reminders when I see a scripture verse or when one comes to mind. I'm reminded through His creations; and through blogs like yours = ). Sometimes at night I'll write down in my little notebook/journal a few things I'm thankful for, or I'll write in my journal and I can reflect on God. Listening to Christian music is great too - and it's Christmas time so I'm listening to music like that (on another note do you listen to Lauren Daigle? She has sung a song Light of the Word that's really good).
      Anyways, what about you?

      Delete
    3. That's not strange at all, Sarah. =) I think that's how it's supposed to be - talking to God about every aspect of our day while we're living it. Isn't that praying without ceasing? I'm striving to be more faithful in prayer, but it's a journey. =) If God's my best friend, wouldn't it be impossible to not share everything with Him? ♥

      I think I'm in a similar place. Sometimes reminders to abide in Christ are obvious - like encouraging friends, letters, blog posts. But it's a habit to develop too. When I write in my journal, I see my day from a heavenly perspective. Once I set a chime on my watch, and I took time to pray every hour when it chimed. Or sometimes I pause between chapters/sections in a textbook to look up and just share what I'm learning with Him or ask for focus. It's often the little things that draw me close to Him - a warm day, sunshine, an act of kindness.

      Yes! Lauren Daigle has written some beautiful songs. =) I just re-listened to that one, a reminder of His love. It's one of my favorites. =) Do you have other Christmas songs you recommend? Thank you for this discussion. I appreciate you sharing a lot! Sisters in Christ are such a gift. ♥

      Delete
    4. Exactly! When we have a best friend we usually talk to them often, spend time with them, go to them for advice, tell them about what we're going through or how our day has been... and if we view God as our Best Friend shouldn't our relationship with Him reflect that?
      I like to see how other believers live for Christ throughout the day, or their habits with prayer or such... so thanks for sharing :). That's true... little things have a way of drawing us closer to Him.
      Jesus Savior by Chris August is another good one. Also, While You Were Sleeping by Castig Crowns and I heard the Bells on Christmas Day by them as well. Of course there are tons of Christmas songs I love :).
      No problem, I love talking (or in this cause typing) to other believers about God or relationships with God or just to talk to my sisters in Christ in general :).
      I agree, sisters in Christ are such a gift ❤️. Blogging has been such a gift as well because I've gotten to know you and others - which is funny to think about since we've never met in person! But we're united through Christ :).

      Delete
    5. Thank you for the song recommendations! I'm going to have to put together a list of Christmas songs to listen to. =) That will be fun!

      True - sometimes we don't have to meet in person. =) God uses so many types of relationships. I'm thankful for close friends, far away friends, and online friends. Each is a treasure and blessing. ♥

      Keep living for our Savior (and Best Friend)! =)

      Delete