Feb 11, 2020

Habakkuk's Story || Man of Questions

























Habakkuk's Story


The leaves are so dry that they crumble to my touch. Foliage becomes dust. It falls. Disappears into the rocky sand by my feet.

But it's the whole world. Dust forever, clinging to every crisp bough and the hem of my tunic. It billows up like a storm then settles like sickening mist. It's on us, crawling, stabbing our skin and waiting for us to give in and become dust like we once were.

Sometimes I want to. I want to give in and become like all of them. Because we live in a world of giving up, where no one holds on, keeps believing, keeps hoping. We give up and try to forget.

But I still see it.

The dust is thickening on the horizon, and armies are coming. Soon, the ash will darken our world to midnight; we'll wonder where the Light has gone.

So I keep staring, seeking. There, in the distance, the night rises. But the Light shines in the darkness. Shadows revolt. The darkness cannot understand the power that will one day destroy it.

I'll never give up. There's a people behind me in the walled city who may never know the danger from without, but I'll fight it. I'll let sand slice through my skin. I'll resist the urge to cave, the desire to settle, and I'll keep my eye on the Light.

No matter what armies besiege our city. No matter how many of my own people create their own statues and call them "god." No matter how much the world seeks its own power, comfort, love.

I shiver under this grime. Sometimes I fall too. The mountains still stand before me, but when the Light comes, they'll part to let Him through. The depths of the seas will raise their hands in worship. And may I be found here, waiting, trusting in His power amid the storm.

Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; though the flock may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls - 

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

The LORD God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills.

(excerpt from Habakkuk 3:17-19)
























And, like last week, here's a worksheet to help you dive deeper into Habakkuk's story!







~♥~

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my, Hosanna. Reading this brightened my day. It might be my favorite retelling so far. ♥
    Thank you, friend! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs back* Thank you so much, Ellen! I've enjoyed writing perspective short stories and exploring Biblical character's lives; I'm stoked that it brightened your day! Praise God! ♥

      Delete
  2. Wow, this was so good! <3

    ~Brooklyn | fiveshekels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brooklyne! You're so encouraging. And also, I peeked at your blog today - may I just say you have perfect book taste? =)

      Keep seeking Jesus, girly! ♥

      Delete
  3. Your writing is splendid! It is so encouraging!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the read, my friend! Habakkuk's life reminded me that nothing in this world can satisfy, except for Jesus. *hugs*

      Delete