May 23, 2019

I'm a Warrior. You Are Too.



I was outside with my little sister as we cleaned a dirty porch and brushed away cobwebs.  She used a squirt bottle to spray a white chair, and then she wiped the legs with a paper towel.  It came back brown with spots of spiderwebs.  She threw it on the ground with a "yuck!"

I laughed, looking down on my own towel - twice as dirty.  Tossing it beside hers, we began to share stories.

Or rather, I retold a story from Revelation, and she listened.  And somehow, the old tale blew me away.

(ps)       For my 5-year old sister, I gave her a much more concise (and less descriptive) narrative than the one that follows.  People say knowing your story's audience is important for some reason...   =)
























The heavens opened.  Lightning spewed like a fountain.  A million rumbles like thunder or like a resounding drum burst in an echoing chamber.  The light had a noise all its own.  It shook me, tore me, made me tremble and fall and hide my face.

And then the storm changed.  Light split the skies.  The noise seemed to quiet, intensifying the emotion that hung in the clouds like a whip ready to snap.

Light growing, growing.  The entire world was the sun, burning my eyes and seeping through every atom in my body.  But I still looked up, still gaped into the blindness.  Until it parted.

A white horse.  Yet not the beast itself, although the steed broke through the clouds in thundering power.  Pure white, brighter than the most stunning flash of lightning, yet the light didn't come from the animal.  The horse arched its neck and pranced from the place between heaven and earth.

My eyes caught on more.  The light.  It came from the One who rode.  He charged like a man entering battle.  With every pounding of the horse's hooves, I heard the Rider's name pulsing through the air.  Faithful.  True.  

His eyes were like a flame of fire, burning sharper and hotter than fire itself.  Crowns adorned His head, sparkling in the colors of the rainbow yet gold all at the same time.  And still His holy names rang through the air, ones I could not comprehend nor grasp.  Yet one caught - The Word of God.  His robe was scarlet, like the blood of His enemies.

An army rode behind Him on white horses, but I couldn't focus on them.  For there was still more, a million things in His countenance that were beyond my understanding.

The armies behind Him stilled as the world was overcome by the Rider's weapon.  Out of His mouth flew a sharp sword.  And with it He struck the nations and ruled.

I just hid there, watching it all, wishing I somehow understood this thing that was too great for me.

Another booming rang, His names continually pouring out.


KING OF KINGS.
AND LORD OF LORDS. 


(story taken from Revelation 19:11-16)
























As I read Revelation's story, I'm blown away.  This. is. God.  This is the One we can talk with, love, be a child of.  He calls us His own.

The One who slays every enemy is our Defender.  The One who created the stars says "I formed you."  The One who can melt mountains lifted up His hands, allowed Himself to be marred and bleed, and died for us.

What type of love is that?

And yet, we don't live like it.  We hold onto our little fears, wondering if His plan is good enough.  We forget to pray when it's the greatest honor one could give us.  And we worry that we're not reading the Bible enough, memorizing enough, being a "good enough" Christian.

Guys.  This is God.  Riding on the clouds, knowing your name.  Where does "good enough" fit anywhere?

You are immensely loved.  Every fear you face is also facing a King who fights with a sword that spews from His mouth.  Every word He says is true.  Powerful.  All-consuming.

Yet it doesn't end there.  I told my sister this tale, and then I turned to her.  "This is so cool, right?  But did you know that we also have swords in our mouths?"

God has given us incredible power.  The hugeness of God is something we can never grasp, never comprehend.  And yet He offers us a tiny piece of His glory.

We're His ambassadors to a broken world.  The words we say are swords in the hands of warriors.  How are we using them?

Do we love with the type of sacrifice Jesus had?  Do we fight the enemies in our lives and slay the attackers who bewitch those around us?  Do we encourage and serve because all of us are in a battle, and we all need someone to get our back?  Are we on white horses, trailing after our mighty King who charges from the heavens?

Because if we're not living every moment and speaking every word for Him, we're either waving around a sword like a silly child - wasting our words on trifling moments - or we're slaying our own armies.

Our words and actions show who we are.


The hypocrite with his mouth destroys his neighbor,
But through knowledge the righteous will be delivered.


A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.


(see also James 3:5-8)


Let your words speak lifeTruth.

If we really understood the power of Almighty God as shown in Revelation 19, everything would be different.  We'd love more, rejoice more, fear less.  Jesus is changing the world, and He can change you too.

The One we follow is called The Word of God.  He spoke the world into being, and He can also slay the enemy with the power from His mouth.

You have a sword too.  You're a warrior.  Let's fight these battles, following the King who reigns over the oceans and mountains yet call us child.  Every battle can be won by Him.  Every sin defeated.

And despite our minuscule smallness compared to His grandeur, there's a promise.

I have loved you  (Isaiah 43:4).









 
Exalt the LORD our God,
And worship at His footstool -
He is holy.
- Psalm 99:5

~♥~

10 comments:

  1. This... <3 <3 <3
    Thank you for sharing this post! I needed the reminder that God triumphs over all of the things that I fear.
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, Brooklyne, that blesses me so much! ♥ God's got this, girl. You're never alone, and you are loved with an everlasting love. *hugs* Praying for you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. ♥ I'm so glad. God is incredible beyond our imagination!

      Delete
  3. I needed this reminder. Your little story is SO breathtaking! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God!! I'm so glad it blessed you, Lila! *hugs*

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post, Hosanna! <3 Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! And thank you for the encouragement, Molly! There are lots of battles in this life, but none are too hard for our King to handle. ♥

      Delete
  5. 😭 I struggle with this SO bad!!! So, so bad. I really need to stop worrying about being a perfectionist. I need to stop worrying about tomorrow, I need to not be a hypocrite. I need to be the person God created me. I need to realize I'm not perfect. It can be so hard sometimes, though.

    I have all these "needs", and then you post this and it's like, well...He still loves me. He knows I can't be perfect. He just wants me to try a little bit, and not worry while I'm trying!!!

    Thank you for this, Hosanna!!! <3333

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Lily, God's got this! Jesus loves you like crazy and wants you to seek Him and His Kingdom (Matthew 6:33). ♥ Keep going after Him, girly! And thank you for sharing your heart here. Praying for you!

      Delete