Apr 5, 2019

Unplanned movie review



Two weeks ago, I sat in a theater where we waited for the premier of Unplanned to begin.  I heard it dealt with hard topics.  I heard it was hard to watch.

I didn't know it would be this hard though.  And so powerful.



















As one of the youngest Planned Parenthood clinic directors in the nation, Abby Johnson was involved in upwards of 22,000 abortions and counseled countless women on their reproductive choices. Her passion surrounding a woman's right to choose led her to become a spokesperson for Planned Parenthood, fighting to enact legislation for the cause she so deeply believed in. Until the day she saw something that changed everything.


Details:


110 Minutes
By Pure Flix
Directed by Chuck Konzelman + Cary Solomon
Rated:  R
Released: (currently in theaters)


Negative Elements:


If you're looking for an easy watch, this isn't it.  (spoiler alert)

Unplanned is rated R, and, although many debate if it deserved that rating, it's hard to watch.  The movie portrays abortion on camera, and at least three intense scenes made me want to crawl under my chair.  There's blood - a lot.  It's graphic.  Unplanned depicts a woman going through an abortion, showing the baby on the monitor as it's stolen out of the womb.  It reveals what happens when the abortion pill goes wrong (aka, intense cramps, blood clots).  It shows a girl who nearly bleeds to death.

Graphic, yes.  But it's powerful (more on that later).

There were also a handful of crude words thrown in that I didn't appreciate.  No profanity but some un-tasteful language.

There are other elements that are hard and better for solely older viewers (such as pregnant teens, references to adult-level issues).  I definitely wouldn't recommend this for anyone under 16.  Even teens and adults might want to use discretion in knowing if they can handle this hard topic.

Heads up:  you'll probably cry too.


My Review:


The movie starts out with a quote, "My story isn't an easy one to hear. I think I probably ought to warn you of that up front."  And it was true.  One scene shows a large barrel being wheeled away from the abortion clinic, and the viewer instantly knows what's inside: aborted babies.  It's impossible for me to see that and not hurt.

Abortion is a theme that breaks me.  Through the movie, I experienced so many emotions:  horror, disgust, laughter, tears.

And it was amazing!  The movie, the music, was so strong.  Scenes gripped me, cut into me, held me tight.  It hit hard and impacted me in a way that few movies do; I won't ever forget Unplanned, and it's one of my favorite movies.  I mean talk about a movie that makes viewers go from victorious cheers to crying in a few minutes (it's so mean).

One of the best aspects?  After the movie, some of the behind-the-scene people and an actress came forward for a Q+A.  The story behind the movie is incredible, guys!  And there was such a big prayer team during the production; the makers described times where volunteers lined up, praying as the team recorded.  Wow.  That's how movies should be made - with Jesus in the center of it all.

To summarize:

Unplanned is hard to watch.  But in doing so, I was challenged, impacted, and encouraged.  It. is. so. good.

It's also based on a true story!  That blows me away.  And I just pray that this movie saves precious, unborn lives.



Other Notes:


If you're interested in seeing Unplanned, I recommend you check out this thorough review by Plugged In.

And guys, life is so, so beautiful.  That includes you.

God has a purpose and plan for your life; don't ever give up on that.   ♥




For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
- Psalm 139:13-14



(ps)  If you didn't enter in the giveaway for a signed copy of The Torch Keepers, you only have a few days left!  Hop over to this link before it ends!


~♥~ 

10 comments:

  1. Ohh great review! I'm really looking forwards to seeing this movie on DVD. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara! I hope Unplanned impacts you like it did me. ♥

      Delete
  2. Awesome review, Hosanna! I probably won’t see it in theaters, but hopefully when it comes out on DVD I will watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, you're so encouraging! I hope you get the chance to watch Unplanned... be prepared with tissues though. =)

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this movie. Our world needs to see how horrendous abortion really is! Thanks for writing =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Abortion sickens me, and I believe this movie portrays the truth as it really is; life is so beautiful and valued. ♥

      Delete
  4. While I don’t think this is a movie that I’ll be seeing, just because I feel it would be a bit too graphic for me, I’m glad that this movie was made. I’m glad it’s doing so well in the theaters. Abortion is horrible and I think this is a movie that lots of people could really benefit from seeing. Abortion happens too much, and it is the saddest thing.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it, Hosanna! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rebekah! Definitely follow your convictions and where you know you should step away. Abortion is horrible, and it was so hard to watch this movie and feel the pain of it. I'm hoping it brings light to what abortion really is.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reviewing this movie! Plugged In is a great site for reviews like you said! I look up books and movies on there all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for the encouraging note, Patience! It's definitely important to protect what we read and watch; Plugged In is a great site for that. =)

      Delete