Feb 15, 2019

Trust in Your Weapon



I believe the Bible.  I always have.  Or at least I thought I did.

Last week, I faced a lot of lies, and I was quickly overwhelmed by anxiety.  I feared the future.  I feared the present.  I feared life itself.

And when I opened my Bible, the words there told me something completely different.  But, staring at the pages, I had to decide if I believed them.






   
I will wait for You, O You his Strength;
For God is my defense.
My God of mercy shall come to meet me;
God shall let me see my desire on my enemies.
- Psalm 59:9-10

God is my defense.  I took a deep breath.

He will come to meet me.  Then why was I scared of the other things?

He will let me see my desire on my enemies.  But what if that wasn't true?

I stared at the page and fought.  Sometimes I still fight.  I fight to believe, to accept, to let it transform my life.

If we truly believed the Bible, our lives would be radically different.

We say we believe.  We think we do.  But do we live like it?

How could we fear when He promises to never leave us nor forsake us?  (Heb.13:5
How could we not share the Gospel when it's commanded so openly?  (Mark 16:15
How could we not rejoice when the God of the Universe is singing over us?  (Zeph. 3:17
How could we say we don't have time to memorize, read the Bible, pray, when that's our weapon against this horrible enemy who wants to steal, kill, and destroy us?  (Eph. 6:10-20

If the Bible is true, why am I afraid?

Maybe sometimes I don't really believe it.

It's like we have this sword, and we're trying to fight.  But we don't really think it's strong enough.  We wave it, try to scare the enemy away, but we're too afraid to actually hit him.

The Bible is our weapon.

Go dig into one of the Psalms and find those promises.  Read Revelation and revel in the immense glory of Who God is.  Explore the Old Testament stories and see His hand.

The Bible is true.  That means these are also true:

You are loved with an everlasting love (Jer. 31:3).  God treads down our enemies (Psalm 60:12).  He has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3).  We fight against spiritual hosts of wickedness that must be fought by truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, the Word of God, and prayer (Eph. 6:10-20).

This is serious.

If you believe the Bible, your life has to change.  We're in a war zone, and we're not going down easily.

That's what I had to decide - I'm going to believe.  I'm going to stop reading the Bible as a book and read it as Truth.

Dear friend, don't let anything hold you back.  Read the Word as truth.  Believe it.  Memorize it.  Pray it.  Abide in it.

Seek Jesus, and He will be found.  We can't do this on our own.

What promises has He revealed to you?  What struggles do you face?  Let's fight this together.






  

As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
So the Lord surrounds His people
From this time forth and forever.

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Hebrews 4:12 
~♥~

8 comments:

  1. I loved this! So many times we fail to use and believe in the Truth(Bible) and instead we only see the obstacles in our path. Thank you for sharing this post! <3
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥ I'm so glad it blessed you, Brooklyne! The enemy surrounds us with his lies, and we need that constant reminder to turn our eyes upon Jesus and His Truth. *hugs* God's got this, girl!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post! So many times I find myself reading the Bible as a book, not as the ultimate truth. I don't intend to go through the motions, but it's easy to slip into that pattern if I don't train my mind to focus on the truth. Thank you for sharing, Hosanna Emily!
    -Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bekah! ♥ Yes - I do the same thing! The Bible is a way for us to get to know Jesus, but we too quickly fall into the pattern of reading it as a story from far ago. That's when the enemy can sneak in. The Bible is living, active. We have to fight with it!

      Keep fighting, girl! You are fearfully and wonderfully made, and God wants to turn you into His warrior. ♥

      Delete
  3. Great post, Hosanna! And very convicting. It's easier to claim to believe the Bible than to act like it. Ephesians 6 talks about how the Word of God is our sword... therefore, shouldn't we know it? We are in a spiritual battle... every second of everyday an unseen battle rages around us.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Sarah! As I've been pondering and seeking to live out the Bible's Truth more radically, it's seriously mind-blowing. I mean, those promises are huge!

      Keep fighting for Jesus, dear friend! He's got your back. ♥

      Delete
  4. Wow, I echo Sarah - this was very convicting. I have also been living in a way that doesn't prove the Bible to be true. It's hard sometimes when many things society tells us are so contrary to God's Word. I've been reminded recently that I need to actively fill my mind with God's truth because otherwise other ideas will come in and I will begin to believe them subconsciously. So, thank you for calling us out on this point, and encouraging us to trust and live radically by your example! Keep fighting! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, that's so strong. I've experienced the same tension as the enemy has thrown so many doubts and lies at me; if I don't replace them with Truth, what's left to fight them? We have to keep seeking His Truth. Press on, girl! I'm praying that He gives you more of Himself to fight those battles as He promises in Philippians 4:13. ♥

      Delete