Jul 31, 2018

You Can Rejoice. Right Now.


There are a million raindrops on the window.  Each one is like a crystal gem, clear whiteness watching me in little, round faces.  They don't trail down in lines now that the rain has paused.  They only watch.

They see the geese in the yard, playing in the wet grass and having the time of their lives.  The droplets hear thunder still rolling through the air like a bowling ball.  They catch sight of the mist growing on the horizon, the calves with sparkling rain against their dark fur, the puddles that reflect the white-blue of the sky.

The rain is starting to fall again.  I wonder if it smells like petrichor outside - that fresh scent of rain when it first falls.  I love that smell.  Well, I've always thought rainy days were the best, after all.

Maybe it's raining on your house, dear reader.  Or perhaps it's dry, hot.  The sunflowers might be standing tall or they might be falling to the earth under the mist.  But either way, I'm stopping to see the world, pausing before my busy day begins, and rejoicing.  I hope you are too.

Because rejoicing is a decision.  And I'm going to rejoice right now.























One time I tried to study what the Bible says about joy.  It didn't work the way I wanted it to.  I was looking for the "how"... how can I rejoice?  How can it be easier?  How can I find joy in my life?

I laugh now to think of it, because the verses I found were so opposite to what I expected.  On my lined paper, I wrote passages sweeping in cursive lettering, but they all basically said the same theme:

In Your presence is fullness of joy...

Other verses word it differently.  The joy of the Lord is our strength (Nehemiah 8:10).  We will rejoice in the Lord and in the God of our salvation (Habakkuk 3:18).  His servants will sing for joy of heart (Isaiah 65:14).  There's probably so much more context if you explored the backgrounds of the verses, but over and over again, God stresses the same fact.

There is no "how".  The answer is that those who follow Jesus rejoice.  It's what they do.

It's that simple.

In Jesus, we rejoice.  You can rejoice right here, right now.  Wherever you are, whatever is going on, you can have joy.

God has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3), and that includes joy.  Rejoicing is a decision to turn our eyes upon Jesus instead of focusing on our own situations.

Paul rejoiced while in prison, and he also wrote a book of the Bible that mentioned rejoicing at least 15 times.  That's in only four chapters.  (and yes, please go read Philippians right now - it's packed full of goodness)

Let's be like Paul and,

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!























But what does this look like practically?

For me, it means deciding at the beginning of the day to focus on Jesus.  It means to take everything that happens and turn it into a song of thankfulness.

This morning, I rejoiced in the rain and the thunder.  In throwing dirty laundry in the washer, even if the boys' socks were inside-out.  In the way my little sister's legs crossed over to my side of the bed in her sleep.  In the fact that I was going to get a late start to my day by writing this post.  And in that frog that just croaked close to my window.

I rejoiced.  And I'm still rejoicing.

Because being joyful is a decision, and I am choosing that today.  I often forget and live for myself, but right now, right here, I want to find Jesus.

Even when the stoplight turns red, He is still God.  When accidents happen, headaches come, babies cry, canning jars don't seal right (that totally didn't happen this week).  He is still God.

Being thankful is simply realizing that He is in control.  So we thank Him because every single circumstance is part of His greater plan.

That thing you're afraid of, He put it there for a reason.  Rejoice!

It's okay to be sad, to hurt for a friend, to be broken, but we mustn't stay there.  In His presence in fullness of joy.  Why would we settle for less?

We rejoice in Jesus, not in anything else.  He is Joy.  When our eyes are on Him, nothing else matters.

Choose to rejoice so that you can find more of Jesus.  Seek Him today.  He will be found.

Maybe I'll go play in the rain or do the laundry or pay a visit to the geese still playing in the wet grass.  Maybe I'll visit the rows of sunflowers that bow in the rain; I don't know what my day holds.  But that's okay.  He is always good.  Why wouldn't I rejoice?

And right now, dear friend, you are being loved.  Rejoice!






















But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You;
Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them;
Let those also who love Your name
Be joyful in You.
~♥~

26 comments:

  1. "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face.... and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His goodness and grace"!
    Rejoicing with you,
    Bri ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Bri, one of my favorite songs! ♥ Let us turn our eyes upon Jesus and rejoice together, dear friend!

      Delete
  2. Amen, I love this! Rejoicing is something that we can choose <3 thanks Hosanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer..." (Romans 12:12). Jesus is so faithful! I'm thankful that He encouraged you today, beautiful Ashley! ♥

      Delete
  3. What a great reminder this day at 8am as I have so much to do today and a baby that is awake way too early. I just LOVE the word: REJOICE! (Maybe that is why I gave my baby that middle name!?!?!) Thanks for starting my day happy and rejoicing today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rejoice is one of my favorite words too... and maybe one day, baby Breeze will learn to live up to her middle name. =) I'm so glad that God reminded you of the joy of His salvation this morning; you've been my biggest inspiration in pushing aside complaining and living in His joy! Love you! ♥

      Delete
  4. Thank you. With snot insisting on leaving it's cave I will choose to rejoice. May I share this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love that, Mrs. Booth! Let's rejoice in everything because He is always good, and we are always loved. ♥ And yes, of course you may share this! I'm so glad God reminded you of His joy today. =) You are such an encouragement and blessing to me!

      Delete
  5. What a great reminder to choose joy! The last few days where I live have been really rainy too!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooklyne, you are so very loved and treasured by the King of Kings - what could keep you from rejoicing?! And I hope you enjoy the sweet rain as much as I do. Maybe we're neighbors under the same storm clouds and just don't realize it. =) haha. Love you, girly!

      Delete
  6. Yes, He IS joy. I love that verse from Psalm 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that verse too, Sarah! The part before it says, "You will show me the path of life." In Him, we have eternal life - not only after we die but even today as we choose to LIVE in Him! He is so good!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful reminder of where our joy truly comes from... not from our circumstances, but from our God. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Emily! Maybe that's why the Bible says to rejoice in the Lord. I wonder why that's so hard to remember sometimes?

      You are so loved, girly! ♥

      Delete
  8. One of your most helpful posts yet, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful this was helpful to you. =) Keep rejoicing, friend!

      Delete
  9. This is such a needed reminder for so many of us! Me included. I was just thinking a negative thought about my day when I clicked and read the title. It reminded me today to rejoice. So thank you for that! Your words are so eloquent and beautiful too. :)
    Love you! You're doing such a great job with your blog, Hosanna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so encouraging; thank you, sweet Hannah! It's such a beautiful thing to choose to live in joy even when life seems to demand otherwise. God still has a plan, and He is good. I'm choosing to live in that truth today, and I hope He reveals His goodness to you as well! You are so loved, my friend! =)

      Delete
  10. I'm enjoying your recent posts about joy, Hosanna! They're so biblically solid, and refreshingly contrary to the ideas society feeds us. I like how you said there is no 'how' or 'when' about rejoicing - it is what Christians do. That was an "aha" moment for me. :) So thanks for sharing, and stay strong and joyful, my friend! You shine bright for Him. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Jessica! Reading your comment drew me back to all those little reminders He has shown me. Every day is a decision to choose joy - to focus on Jesus instead of myself. As you said, it's what Christians do. I needed to remember that today. *hugs*

      Delete
  11. I think that rainy days - besides being your idea of "the best" - inspire you. This wouldn't be your first post with sweeping poetry-like prose to appear here. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with us, dear friend. May the joy of the Lord be our strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I read this, Jordy, because it was another rainy day in which I again felt inspired. =) Ah, it's such a blessing to experience the beauty He has given us! Rejoicing in everything. ♥ As you said, may His joy be our strength!

      Delete
    2. The time stamp for your comment reads August 11. I wonder if that's according to my time zone, and if it was August 10th for you when you typed it - the same date you wrote your most recent post. I'll have to go read it soon! :)

      Delete
    3. So much time has passed that I can't remember how my blog posts and comments line up. But I can assure you that God has the best timing. He has been so faithful. I'm eager to share our praises together very soon face-to-face, dear Jordy! ♥

      Delete
  12. Carissa RoseAugust 12, 2018

    Hosanna, I don't think I've ever commented before on your blog. I receive your blog posts by email though and read them every time I get them. They always seem to be just what I need. I know this is a delayed comment, but I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for pointing to Christ. Thank you for the encouragement and challengs you give here. Thank you for letting God use you to encourage and bless others. I'm going through some difficult things right now, but God uses your blog posts to challenge me. So, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carissa, your words mean so much to me! One of my favorite quotes says, "I'm a little pencil in the hand of a writing God, who is sending a love letter to the world." That's what I desire for both of us - to be His pencil.

      Dear friend, you are such a blessing! Keep living for Jesus. You are so deeply loved, and I am blessed to be able to share His love with you. ♥ Never give up, girl, just let Jesus write through you! *hugs*

      Delete