Feb 6, 2018

Dear Blogger | Give Your Blog to God


Dear Blogger,

Each of us embarked on our blogging adventures for a reason.  I don't know what yours was.  Were you wanting to change the world and give hope to the hopeless?  Did you want to make new friends while sharing your heart in words?  Or was this a simple idea that began to grow into something beyond your imagination?

If you're like me, you can look back on your early days of blogging and shake your head.  Young me knew so little.  I could have never imagined where I would be 2 1/2 years later.  God used this blog to change me so much.

I learned, I changed, I grew.  But I also sighed, grew discouraged, and wanted to give up.

I'm getting off track here.  This letter is for you, dear blogger.  So, if you have a place on the internet you see as home, here's what's on my heart.  I want to share two things - a challenge and encouragement.






















The Challenge

This has always been my biggest struggle with blogging:

me.

Yes, me.  I started off my blog for Jesus.  It was to spread His story of love to the world.  More specifically, God called me to start this blog from a single verse.

I will...talk of Your deeds.
- Psalm 77:12

That was it.  Just talk of His deeds.  How simple right?  Wrong.  It's been a battle at times - a battle between myself and Him.

Myself doesn't blog to lift others up.  It blogs to get more comments.  It blogs to see the follower stat rise.  To promote myself, to please myself.

I still fight this mentality.  It's hard to blog because of Love.  It's hard to keep from turning people into followers.

But when we do that, we miss so much.

Dear Blogger, we can't blog to promote ourselves.  And we absolutely can't see beautiful people made in God's image as mere numbers to boast about.  Our reason for blogging must be so much more.  When we became Christians, we gave up "self" to live for Christ.  He should be the focus of our daily lives.  And do you remember what He says about others?  (see John 13:34 and Philippians 2:3-4)

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God;
- 1 John 4:7

My goal in blogging is to show Love to you and to God.  The number of followers, comments, and stats doesn't really matter in light of eternity.

I challenge you to give your blog to Jesus.  Let Him use it.  Let the words you type be typed through prayer and out of the outflow of your relationship with Him.


The Encouragement

There's another side of the follower dilemma.  When we look at our stats and are unsatisfied, we can often feel like we aren't making a difference.

I can't give you answers.  I can't say if you are or are not making a difference.  And guess what, I can't say that about my own blog either.  But I've realized something.

More than 14% of the page-views on my blog have been from a single Asian country in which I don't know a single person.  While this might seem unnerving to some, it gave me an interesting idea.

What if people read our words who we'll never know about?  What if in that Asian country, in which being a Christian is unpopular, there was a fellow believer who was encouraged by something I said?  What if God's using my blog in ways I'll never realize?

I don't know who reads the words I write.  I don't know if they go in one ear and out the other or if they're really making a difference.  But it doesn't matter.  Because if I'm writing for God, isn't that enough?

My friend, you don't know how God's using you.  So press on.  Write for His glory, and give your blog into His loving hands.  Even if no one comments or if it seems like no one cares, let Him do the work He's best at - changing the world.

Live to hear Him say these words,

Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.
- Matthew 25:21

Keep writing!  Keep living for our Savior!  Don't let anything distract you from what matters most.

Who knows how God will use your life if it's completely dedicated to His will?






















He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much.
- Luke 16:10
 
For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
- 1 Corinthians 2:2 
~♥~

photo credits: Pexels

12 comments:

  1. So true. It's really easy to get our mind set off of Jesus and onto ourselves, to get distracted or discouraged by how many views, comments, or followers we've received. We all have different reasons for blogging but some of us long to glorify God through our blogs. We need to have our blog to reflect and shine through His Love.
    Thank you for sharing this Hosanna, and for this important reminder and the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere I read that our lives should be a mirror pointing straight at Jesus - so everyone around us sees Him instead of us. But when we get distracted or self-centered, the mirror turns away. Then what do people see? Thwarted reflections?

      I think your blog is an example of one that reflects Him, Sarah. =)
      It's encouraging to see your heart for Jesus! Let's press on as we let God,

      Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
      For You are the God of my salvation;
      On You I wait all the day.
      - Psalm 25:5

      Delete
  2. This post was wonderful, as always! Your blog is so encouraging and inspiring, and I think you are doing a wonderful job of shining God's light through it!
    Thank you so much for sharing this, keep being awesome! :-)
    ~Skylar Reese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Skylar! I'm thrilled that God used the post to inspire you. He's an awesome God. =)

      Is there any way I can be praying for you? How's your beautiful family? =) I'm thankful God lead us to cross paths! ♥

      Delete
  3. Wow, Hosanna! I don't know how to express my reaction to your post except by saying this, that I've been thinking about my blog and future changes, the last few minutes of reading your words were like a definite heart-and-motive check. As a friend of mine once put it, I'm so proud of Christ in you. Thanks for publishing these words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me that, Jordy! It means a lot to know God used this post to nudge your heart. I'll be praying for you as you make those important decisions. Blogs are wonderful avenues to bless others if we use them for God's glory and under His lead. And I know He will give you wisdom as you seek Him (James 1:5).

      Delete
  4. I love this line: "It's hard to keep from turning people into followers." I'm studying Daniel now, and he and his 3 friends never took credit for not bowing, for interpreting dreams, or being willing to face the furnace, instead they continued to always point people to their God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point! Daniel and his friends were lifted up to some of the highest positions in the land, yet they remained humble and focused on God. What a wake-up call. Everything's all about Jesus. Why can't our flesh give up and understand that? =)

      Thank you for sharing! ♥

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post, Hosanna! I especially love your last point, as it's one I've also considered. What if God is working in ways that we cannot see right now, but one day will? What a great reason to give all we do to Him. :)
    I'm so glad to be able to point to your blog as an example of one that lifts up Jesus and brings Him glory in everything, so thank you for shining so bright! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Emily! Thank you for the encouragement. Recently I read Isaiah 55, "My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord, "for as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."

      God has a epic plan for us if we follow His calling - even when we might not see it. Let's be faithful in our callings so He can use us for His glory!

      Happy Valentine's Day, and I'm so thankful for you! ♥

      Delete
  6. Praise God for your blog - I am happy to see my sister praising and worshiping our Father and His Son Jesus while giving hope, encouragement and direction in what we do. It's not easy keeping our eyes on Jesus, but when we do, wow, what an awesome time we have.

    I will keep you lifted up and ask the Lord to give you an increase. Great to have come across your blog, no mistake!!
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Virginia! Sorry for the super late response, as I somehow missed this comment! It encouraged me today. =)

      Yes - let's keep our eyes upon Jesus! He is so good and faithful and worthy of all praise! ♥

      Delete