Jan 16, 2018

Dear Writer | Live for More























Dear Writer,

Your words have power.  They have purpose - if you use them wisely.  Remember that.

If you're a writer, you've already been giving a huge blessing.  God's given you the gift of words.  Maybe you don't think so, because English can trip anyone up (trust me).  However, there's something so much more important than grammar and a flowing story-line.

There is something we often forget.

We can't define ourselves as merely "writers".  We're people.  We have schedules and families and friends.  We can't bury ourselves in our writing and miss out on all the rest.  What would it matter if we gained the whole world and lost our soul?  Or what would it matter if we wrote a best-selling book, got published on a renowned website, or created a story that brought tears to someone's eyes if at home our lives were falling apart?

Writing is important.  Maybe it's your calling.  But don't forget that Jesus is what matters.  If you spend your life doing things for Jesus, you'll miss out on having a relationship with Jesus.  He wants you.  Not your writing.  You.

Jesus will often use your talents to do amazing things.  Make Him your priority.  Then you'll be writing something worth reading.

I'm just starting to learn this lesson.  I'm still struggling.  Inwardly, I want to live my life for myself.  I want comfort and schedules and routine.  But we're made for so much more.

A real Christian's life should be lived from the outflow of her relationship with Jesus.

Everything.  Writing, reading, words, it should all be because of a passionate love that overwhelms their life and seeps out from them every time they open their mouth.  This isn't writing.  This is so much more.

There are no meaningless moments in life - even writing.  Every one counts.  Let's make sure we don't waste them.

You're more important as a person than a writer.  So take a break.  Focus on relationships.  Sit alone in God's presence.  Maybe then you'll be ready to write with enthusiasm without forgetting what matters most.

I want to share one last piece of encouragement.

It's easy to get into "author mode" and look over everything with a critical eye.  Sometimes we forget to like our writing.  We pick out commas and stress about character flaws.  We wonder what a reader would think.  Or we erase yet another email and wonder how to share what we really want to say.

Guess what?  First drafts aren't beautiful.  Neither are second or third drafts.  Don't let yourself get carried away with perfectionism.  Sometimes the best thing you can do is explore your writings as a reader.  Turn off editing and wrap yourself into the story.  Read.  Feel the emotion of the story and embrace where God has already led you.

Then get back into editing mode with a bounce in your fingers.  Embrace every stage of writing knowing that there's a purpose in it.  If we wait to live life until a certain point, we'll never truly live.  So live right now.  Give yourself away to Jesus and write up a storm to His glory.

Dear Writer, I know it's hard, and you might feel discouraged.  If life was easy, we would never achieve anything worth success.  Start today.  Life for more.  Don't be just a writer, but when you do set your pen on paper, let it fly from fingers eager to share a message of hope with the world.

I'm cheering you on.






















Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
- Psalm 46:10

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord!
- Psalm 150:6
~♥~ 

18 comments:

  1. This is a very important post. And personally, I know that my writing goes much better when I spend more time with God and my family. Thanks for the reminder!

    D.G. Snapper | silverphoenixwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow writer! I agree with what you said - writing goes much better when we have the right priorities. It's hard, as a writer, to focus on eternal things. Our giftings are important - but relationships are so much more. May we all share our passion for words with a love that flows out from every part of our lives. ♥

      Delete
  2. Great post Hosanna, and something that we need to remember. “A real Christian’s life should be lived from the outflow of her relationship with Jesus” - right on. Thanks for this encouragement :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I struggle with often, Sarah. Our relationship with Christ should be the center of our being - but so often, it's not. Let's strive to be the Daniels of this time who are willing to endure persecution or even death for our love of our heavenly Father. And yet, let's live out that relationship even in the mundane moments of everyday life. Let's live in His unchanging, faithful Love. ♥

      Delete
  3. That was so good! Thank you so much for writing this!

    Lily @ lilymaesday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that this post touched your life in some way, Lily! Keep living for our loving Savior, especially by writing words that brings Him glory. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, my friend. =)

      Delete
  4. GIRL LIKE I WAS READING THIS AND THINKING "Dude like I gotta show Savannah this" AND I MOST CERTAINLY WILL. This will be such an encouragement to people seeking to be authors--and not just authors, but people who write pretty much anything! And not just that, but it applies to everything in life--if our relationship with God is not right, everything else is going to start falling apart. I've experienced that reality before, and let me tell you, it's not fun. I have realized when God asks me to do something it is NOT worth it to fight Him...but it is ALWAYS worthwhile to follow Him, even if it might mean taking the narrow path.
    You are such a cool person, Hosanna. Keep on encouraging the world with your beautiful words and life!!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouraging words, Ariel! You're too sweet, like always. =)

      Yes - our relationship with Christ should be the center of every part of our life! In this post, I was only able to touch on writing, which is certainly an important area of life. But there's so many others. Friends, conversations, hobbies, tasks, school. Every moment of life should be lived for Christ and because of Christ. Narrow paths might not be fun to walk on, but they lead to beautiful destinations.

      Keep up your writing, my friend! But more than that - keep living for our Savior. I'm thankful for you!

      Delete
  5. I needed this SO badly. Thank you, love

    //megan
    megans-journals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* I'm glad God used my words to encourage you, Megan! I hopped over to your blog today, and your most recent poem, Where You Are, stood out to me. There's so much truth in it. God is forever faithful. As you shared with your blog readers, don't ever give up, Megan. Don't ever give up on your writing, and don't ever lose sight of God. Words can make a difference if we are focused on the One who can change the world. Thank you for your sweet comment. ♥

      Delete
  6. Ok this was amazing Hosanna. Even though I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a writer, this still hit home for me. We should be giving ourselves to the Lord not just all the things we do. Thank you for writing! This was encouraging to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Ashley! Jesus should be the center of our life. For me, that includes writing. God might be leading you on an entirely different path, but, if we follow after Him, we'll come to the same end - Jesus! Let's live every single aspect of our life for Him. Let's be radical - He deserves our all. And thank you for the encouragement, my friend. =)

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful article! I just discovered your blog and will definitely be following. Thank you for this, and keep up the good work! -Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment, Anita! I'm grateful that God used my words to encourage you. Keep living for Him, dear friend. ♥

      Delete
  8. I came here from Sarah's link, and I loved this. I don't consider myself a writer in the way most bloggers do... I find that most bloggers also write books and poems and stories, and I haven't tried to write a book since I was about 14 and the few poems I have written could be greatly improved, and I have not really tried short story telling... but I do write, constantly. Letters, blog posts, journaling... and I love to hear all the writer things. But this post is so needed. Not just for you book writers, but for those of us who just write to get the words down. Christ should come first! And it's not something generally acknowledged among writers... I feel like we as a whole think God should come before busyness... but we forget writing is part of that busyness that can take His place? Maybe because we enjoy it and so it doesn't strike us as "work"? Thank you for this post!
    Bri
    forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow writer! It's exciting to discover how God is leading other writers in their own talents. =) Although I do enjoy creating poetry, short-stories, and novels, writing is something that everyone does and should do only for His glory. Blogging is an especially big responsibility - how many people read the words we create?

      That's a good question, Bri. I've thought the same thing about reading. For some reason, reading and writing both don't seem to be considered as time wasters...but they can steal our time and direct us away from Jesus as much as TV or other distractions. Our goal needs to be to give every single aspect of life to Jesus.

      Thank you for the thought-provoking comment. =) Keep up your writing, my friend, but let's both strive to write because of His love. ♥

      Delete
  9. beautiful reminder. thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the post blessed you, Faith. Thank you for the encouraging comment. I hope you seek to create words that draw your readers closer to God's love. =)

      Delete