Oct 31, 2017

The Giver movie review
















The Giver centers on Jonas, a young man who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Yet as he begins to spend time with The Giver, who is the sole keeper of all the community's memories, Jonas quickly begins to discover the dark and deadly truths of his community's secret past. With this newfound power of knowledge, he realizes that the stakes are higher than imagined - a matter of life and death for himself and those he loves most. At extreme odds, Jonas knows that he must escape their world to protect them all - a challenge that no one has ever succeeded at before. The Giver is based on Lois Lowry's beloved young adult novel of the same name, which was the winner of the 1994 Newbery Medal.


Details:


97 Minutes
By the Weinstein Company
Directed by Phillip Noyce
Rated: PG-13
Released: 2014


Negative Elements:


Well, first of all, I didn't realize that this was a PG-13 movie...it makes me feel a little less inclined to share it. I personally didn't have a problem with anything, but there were some elements you might find uncomfortable.

Some of my family members don't like The Giver at all. They say the plot and story-line is weird. This movie is either a completely like or dislike story, I suppose. =) We're still debating who's right.

But there are no bad words, and the main "iffy" content is violence. (spoilers in white) One character sees scenes of war, gunshots all around him, and death. Someone beside him falls dead with his eyes open, and the character looks down, not realizing what death really is. Yes, it's kinda gruesome. (just one quick scene though.) The movie also shows people shooting at a elephant. The last violent thing to mention is a quiet scene. The community has a practice of euthanizing too-small babies and older adults. One scene shows this discreetly as a man puts a needle into a baby's head (not knowing that the "sleep" is actually death). Another girl almost gets the same fate.

End of spoiler.

So yes, there is violence and death. And while I don't appreciate that part of the movie, it did help me fully realize the truth of The Giver: Despite the pain, the sorrow, and the hardness of the world we live in, life is beautiful.


My Review:


Our family has some controversy about The Giver. =) Most of us will readily agree that it's one of our favorite movies. The others say that it's just weird. So...feel free to choose where you stand. But because I'm writing this review, I give it at least 4.5 stars.

The Giver isn't a Christian movie. It doesn't mention God at all. But the theme of this movie never fails to make me at loss for the beauty God has made. Let me see if I can explain without too many spoilers.

The elders of the land have decided to make a perfect world without pain, famine, war, and jealousy. But as they took those qualities out of life, they also took emotion, beauty, color, music, and love. The world is left with a black and white land of ordinary people doing ordinary things in a world of sameness. The world is better because of these improvements...right? But as one young man begins to receive memories of the past, he sees things in a new way. For the first time, he sees the beauty in life.

After watching The Giver, I'm always amazed. I can't look at the world the same. We have color! We have music! We have emotion and love and joy and friendship! Of course pain hurts and life is difficult. But look at the gifts God has given us. Seriously. We are so very blessed. The day after watching the movie, I always see things differently. I can't help but praise God for everything. Creation displays His glory. I'm so thankful.

Although this is a very unique story-line, and some might consider it "weird", it's one of my favorite movies. It's sad and shows the real pain of life, but it reminds me of the splendor of creation. God is always good. We are so very loved.


Other Notes:


If you're considering watching The Giver, I would recommend glancing over this review. Plugged In is a great site to get honest reviews for movies. They may have mentioned some things I didn't because they didn't stand out to me. (or they weren't prominent in the movie) Because this is a PG-13 movie, be aware of the violence and negative elements.

But I do look forward to seeing it again. The Giver helped me see the beauty of life. It's not a Christian movie, but it helps me see His love more clearly.  I hope it does the same for you.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Hosanna! I've heard of the book (and the movie) but have never read or watched either. I always appreciate your thorough, thoughtful movie reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the original book yet either, Emily. =) Although The Giver is not a Christian movie, I always find it to point me back to how amazing God is. Colors, music, emotion - life is a beautiful, priceless gift. I hope you get the chance to watch it one day. =)

      Delete
  2. I love this movie!! And the book was great too. :)

    Great review, Hosanna! I agree with what you said - I'd give it a 4.5 rating as well, and I count it as one of my favorites. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like The Giver too, Lila! =) It's such a unique story, but it also encourages me to see the true beauty in life. I almost wish I could watch it every week to remind myself of how good God is. =) Having a thankful and eternal mindset makes life more beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome. =) I hope the movie review was able to remind you of how wonderful God is, even in the midst of our busy lives. =)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review! It sounds like an interesting movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to describe this movie, Grace, but I hope you can watch it for yourself one day. =) The themes of doing what's right even when everyone else doesn't understand and seeing the beauty in life both make me see life in a new way. God's blessed us with so much! =)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but it's powerful to think of what our world would be like without colour, or music, and all the emotions. Although sometimes they add to our pain, they make life so much more beautiful! Our Creator certainly knew what He was doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jessica! It's easy for me to shrink back into worries and rush through life without seeing the beauty. But today I went into the autumn trees around my house and just realized, "wow." He's so good. Life hurts, but it's still precious.

      In the 31 Hugs challenge, this truth was re-realized. God uses the most amazing things to "hug" us. And, somehow, loving others helps us see His love more clearly. Every part of life is beautiful because of Him. Thank you for taking time to praise Him with me. ♥♥

      Delete
  6. I read this book in French as part of my school curriculum in Grade 9. I wouldn't call the plot weird so much as... creatively speculative? Because of course it's nothing that could really happen. But it does provoke thought. With a transformed worldview, even non-christian compositions cause us to think about the world around us and make connections back to God's Word and God's world.

    (As a side note, this book indirectly inspired 'Isolated'; it influenced a dream which gave me part of the idea for my book... but by now, of coarse, you couldn't tell the connection!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jordy! I'm sure it was a unique experience reading this book in French. =) I also find the plot really intriguing. It never ceases to make me re-realize how beautiful life truly is. And how blessed we are because of Him. ♥

      It's extra special to know that Isolated was inspired indirectly by The Giver. God works in amazing ways, and your book is an example of that! =) Thank you for commenting, dear friend!

      Delete
  7. Hello! I know this is a pretty old post to comment on, but I think it was really neat how you put part of it in white! We watched the giver and enjoyed it too :)
    Laura
    flowersinmybasket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laura, and thank you for sharing your thoughts! =) The Giver encourages me every time I watch it. The movie reminds me of the beauty God created in life and gives me a spirit of praise for all He's done. I'm so thankful for His love despite our many weaknesses. =)

      Keep pressing on towards Jesus and living in His Love, my friend!

      Delete