Aug 21, 2018

Set Life || a Short Story



I straighten, my elbows resting on the edge of a table covered by a blue cloth. The pattern on the sheet is like woven textile and complements the scattered puzzle pieces of every color. I see two matching zebra pieces and press them together. The edges fit perfectly.

"Don't get too far ahead, Hosanna," one of the grips says as I find another zebra piece, "we haven't started the shot yet, and the puzzle's only supposed to be half-done."

I laugh and shrug.  "I can't help it.  All these pieces just waiting to be put together."  But I stop and watch the film crew gathering around me and the other actress, my hands still fiddling with a small puzzle piece between my forefinger and thumb.

One actor—my brother—isn’t going to be filmed in this scene, and he takes a turn helping the grips set up lights.  Other behind-the-scene helpers put up the lights, hold diffusers, and arrange the scene perfectly as the camera op and director give them guidance.  The lights and stands are arranged, making the tan wall behind me free of shadows.  The puzzle pieces look even more vibrant on the blue tablecloth.  I pick one up.

When the director is satisfied with the lighting, a make-up artist comes close and squints at my face and the other actress.  She dabs transparent powder on my nose and forehead.  It already feels like there’s a thick layer of makeup covering my face, but I shut my eyes and let her brush more above my cheekbones.

"Are the lights making me shiny?" I ask, smiling.

Her voice rises with her flashing grin, "No, you just can't help glowing.”  She gives me one last pat of powder.  “You're a star, girl."

The other actress and I laugh.

"Practice run."  The camera op holds his gimbal and sweeps the camera slowly across the scene as I go back to the puzzle.  After he does it several times, he nods to the director.

I tense.  My fellow actress prepares to enter the scene, but my heart is pounding against the lav mic that's tapped to my sternum.  A tiny cord trails down to the transmitter in my back pocket that's hidden.  Every word I say can be heard by the boom operator.  Yeah, it can be embarrassing.  No secrets.

He hoists his boom pole onto his shoulders.  It's extended past four feet, and he raises it above our heads, checking to make sure it's not in the camera shot.  His long arms stiffen as the mic hesitates above our heads.

The camera op nods.

"Camera rolling."

"Sound speed."

I take a deep breath.  As I lower my eyes to the puzzle again, my fingers clasp around one of the pieces.  It's not a zebra but instead some odd, grey texture. An elephant?

"Scene 13 alpha take 1."  The clapperboard snaps, making my ears ring.  The 2nd AC steps away, holding the board, and pauses.

No one says a word.

Memorized lines rush through my brain.  I try to sort them, to remember which goes first, where I look, how I say every word.  They’re like the puzzle, mixed and strewn all over the tablecloth.

I release my breath in a quick prayer.  This scene belongs to God. It's all His.  "Help me, please."

"Three, two, one... action!"

The actress—my pretend sister—pulls up to the table in front of me, but I ignore her for a moment.  My fingers fiddle with the puzzle pieces.  I find two that connect, and they slip together like old friends meeting once again.

But I raise my eyes, my throat tightening.  "Why were you yelling?"

She doesn't meet my gaze.  "I don't want to talk about it."

It's the climax scene for my character, and somehow, I forget who I am.  I forget that I'm an actress, and instead I become Noelle.  At that puzzle table, I stare into my sister's face.  She pretends to work on the puzzle with me, but there's no effort.  She goes through the motions, and I know her secrets. I know how it's hurting her, hurting our family, hurting me.

My fists clench around the suffocating puzzle piece.  I try to control my breath, but it chokes when I say my next lines.  I'm not supposed to cry—it's not in the script—but I feel the emotion clutching in my throat.  Because somehow, right now, I'm Noelle.

The lines rush out of my mouth.  We argue, and my words hurt her as I try to "realistically" show her the truth.  As she finally turns to leave the table, I watch until I reach down for another piece.  It doesn’t have a partner, matching piece.  But it's still part of the overarching picture.  It has a place in the story.

"And cut."

I look up, almost surprised.  There's the camera, still turned towards me.  The boom pole lowers, but I forgot that it was there.  Lost in that moment, it all disappeared.  It was just me and my sister, our words flying and stumbling at times.  Our hearts broken and hurting.

I take a deep breath.  I'm not Noelle anymore, but she lingers inside me.  As the camera sets up for another take, I go back to being Hosanna.  Until the next shot.

The camera moves to another angle, and we retake the scene. Then again.  Alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo...  The clapperboard keeps snapping, and I say my lines again, lost in the moment.

At the last "cut", the director nods.

"That's a wrap for today."

I slip off my chair, leave the puzzle.  After the entire day of filming for 10 hours, we hurry to pack our bags and exit the house towards our row of vehicles.

I start our truck and pull onto the road.  My actor brother sits beside me as we pass the dotted, yellow lines and turn corners.

But I can’t stop thinking about the puzzle scene, about how I had become caught up in the moment.  Somehow, that feeling of being completely lost in something bigger than myself still hesitates within me.  I never thought acting was my passion.  But maybe—somehow—it is part of who I am.

We will come back the next day and act.  And the day after that.  But I don’t think it will be the same as the moment I forgot the mic, camera, and lights and got caught up in the story.

I guess it's called set life.




Last week, I spent at least 50 hours working on a short film with a crew of incredibly talented people.  We laughed, made mistakes, worked together.  And somehow, I felt like we became a family in those five days.

And even though it was time consuming and left me little breaks to be in His quiet presence, I still knew that He was God.  With every shot, I committed myself to Him.  When my stomach churned with stress, I let Him be my strength.  And He was (and is) always enough.

I miss set life.  But instead of being sad that it's over, I'm rejoicing that it happened.

And now you, dear friend.  What are your rejoicing in?  Do you consider yourself an actress?  If you've never made a movie, what aspects of filming stood out to you in my short story?

Friend, you are being loved.









 
The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
And in the night His song shall be with me—
A prayer to the God of my life.
- Psalm 42:8

~♥~

15 comments:

  1. Friend, how cool to get a sneak peak at what set life was like for you! I'm not an actress, but I've always wondered what it would be like. You have to have deep empathy and understanding of human emotions to be able to get into the character like you did... congratulations! When do I get to see the film? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend! It amazes me at how God gives us everything we need for each moment. I grew up playing pretend games, and that combined with writing makes it a joy to get into character, trying to understand what another person's life would be like. Isn't it awesome how He prepares us for future things we may never expect?!

      Don't worry, girl. I'll give you one of the first peeks into the movie once it's edited... but that won't be until October. =) Love you!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely not the acting type, but this was REALLY cool to read - and very well-written!

    That moment when you "became Noelle" must have been so... special. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading this, Lila! And thank you - it's definitely a special moment when you are using your passions for Jesus. Through every talent God has given you, keep writing, living, and loving for Him, dear friend! ♥

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading this, Hosanna!
    I was in a few musicals for my church a few years ago but besides that I haven’t done much acting. It is fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I'm so glad that you enjoyed "peeking" into what set life is like. Acting is a joy if it's something God has put into your heart. Perhaps He will give you more opportunities to do it in the future. =)

      Delete
  4. It's *evident* you're a lover of all kinds of stories. It was so lovely to hear you talk and then write about this short-lived but precious week-long season.

    I felt like I got lost reading your story. "And cut," felt like a jarring jolt back to reality just to read it.

    I can't remember ever doing any acting that I took very seriously, if any at all. But it was lovely to hear about your experience. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jordy, isn't it beautiful when God places different passions (and stories) on your heart!? I suppose this was one example of something I don't usually do but I felt it tugging inside me to be written. I'm glad the story was something you enjoyed reading, as it certainly holds a part of me within the words (don't most stories?). I'm thankful to be able to share that glimpse with you, dear friend, as you've been such a blessing to me. ♥ As we say often, God is so good.

      Delete
  5. Awesome job telling what it's like to be on set, Hosanna! Can't wait til we get to do it again together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Anna! I wouldn't want to act alongside anyone else. =) Thank you, my filming sister. ♥

      Delete
  6. That was really good Hosanna! As a director and not an actor, it's really helpful to have more of an insight about what goes through "my" actress' mind before, during, and after a take. It was a really fun and super busy week, and I'm glad we can look back on it happy that we did it. You did great, and keep up the good work!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ryan, that means so much! It was certainly a pleasure to be on set last week, despite the crazy busyness. I always look back with gratefulness on how God works in life - so faithful. I'm also looking forward to making more films with you as director in the future. =)

      Oh, and I am going to write that short story in second-person point of view, like we talked about. That's a challenge I'm excited to undertake. =)

      Delete
    2. Oooh, I want to read it once it's done!

      Delete
  7. This is great! Thanks for sharing to us what is it like being on cam or in a set. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a blessing when God puts a story in our heart to tell. He deserves all the glory! Thank you for the encouragement, Mason.

      Delete