Dec 6, 2022

The Tale of Honey-Water Farm || meet Doubtful Doreana the Duck








Today on our family farm, there're cool rainclouds filling the pastures with bright puddles. It's a good day to be a duck. ;)

I've always thought ducks were one of the cutest farm animals! We've grown up with them since I can remember, and they are constant splashers. Ducks are one of those animals that can literally laugh (I've woken early to their quacking laughter!), they may show up on a random day with a dozen, tiny ducklings trailing behind, and yet they're maybe the messiest of any farm animal.

(I found them this week swimming in my cow trough leaving feathers and mud everywhere. And yes, they're still my favorite) ;)

Thus, while writing The Tale of Honey-Water Farm, this duck character was one of my favorites, and I think you'll have fun exploring her story!











“Doreana almost squawked like a chicken. ‘A surprise? Then I must get ready!’”


Meet Doreana.

She lives on the Honey-Water Farm with her neighbor, Tuff Tobias the Toad of the Pond Patrol, and loves it! She has a constant smile, can't help but "accidentally" splash everyone, and has skill as an artist (which is quite impressive if you imagine drawing with feathers!).

But she has one huge problem:

Her webbed feet are much too big.

She can’t fly, and she thinks they’re ugly. So Doreana tries to hide her feet with toenail polish, but it makes it worse. (I mean, nail polish on a duck is never a good idea.)

But the Farmer still loves this silly duck, and he has an exciting plan for her. It includes trekking through the swamp, meeting unexpected strangers, getting to have a pond tea party, and eating a banana.

But what I love is her relationship with the Farmer.

In the darkest moment, when she has nowhere else to go, he changes her life. He loved her as a lost duckling unable to fly south for the winter with her family, and he continues to guide her and treasure her as part of his family out of his great kindness. Even with her big, funny feet.

And because of that, she invites everyone to the farm!

Jesus did the same thing for me. He changes everything. He forgave me when I was a sinner and loved me when I was undeserving, and this life with Him is the best! I could dance around like Doreana just to praise Him!

Sometimes I imagine God looking at us and not seeing the people we are today... not the mistakes or awkwardness or distractedness. If we're in Jesus, we have been forgiven! Clean. Those sins are washed away and removed as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:11-13). And He is a kind, gentle Father. I imagine Him seeing the wonderful person He has created us to be, that man or woman in His image on the day He returns and restores shalom to this broken world.

And like a child with her Daddy, may we listen, learn, lean into His arms, and even now become that person. He doesn't leave us in the mess--He is our Teacher, and conviction is a beautiful thing.

That's what I see in Doreana. The Helper gave her everything she needed. He didn't look at her silliness and disqualify her; he loved her. It drew her to see something more important than big feet, and it changed the lives of a raccoon, rattlesnake, and a fox. (who you'll get to meet soon!)

Thank you, Jesus. ♥

So for all you duck lovers (like me), I hope you laugh through Doreana’s story and enjoy her adventures on Honey-Water Farm! Meet the scary characters she encounters in the swamp and enjoy the tea party for yourself!








The Tale of Honey-Water Farm is now available for preorder for Kindle on Amazon! Click here to claim your own copy!




Therefore, as people chosen by God, set apart and dearly loved, put on your "new clothes"--a heart of mercy and compassion, kindness...

Colossians 3:12

 


~♥~

No comments:

Post a Comment