Jul 17, 2018

Don't Look For Joy; Seek Jesus



I'm looking out the window to where our driveway meets the road.  The pasture fence branches off, and a handful of cows are lounging in the sun and dew-drenched grass.  There are birds savoring the morning air.  Three crape myrtil bushes watch the animals as the leaves erupt in flowers of crimson and pink.  Summer air.  Warmth.  Color.

And it all reminds me of what God has been teaching me this past week.  There, out of the window, is a little piece of Jesus' beauty.  A little piece of the Eden we lost in the fall.  Maybe a little piece of Heaven.  But whatever it is, when I set my eyes on it, I can't help but breathe, "Thank you, Jesus."























Recently, that snippet of a prayer has been my 11 year old sister's most common phrase.  She walks around the house saying, "thank you, Jesus" about every thirty seconds.  At first it annoyed me.  How could she be so thankful all the time?

But then it hit me.  The problem was with me - that I didn't have the same heart of thankfulness.  I focus so much on what's not going the way I plan that I miss the beauty of Jesus.

When it's all been about Him anyway.

But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection.  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.
- Colossians 3:14-15

 That's what I've been learning:  lovepeace.  thankfulness.  joy.

The problem is that when I try hardest to grasp them, that's when they slip through my fingers most easily.  It's because I'm seeking the gifts.  Not the Giver.

And when we seek Jesus, the priceless fruits of the Spirit are given freely to us.  No, life doesn't become perfect so we can have joy and thankfulness.  Instead, we grasp onto love, peace, and the rest because we have Jesus no matter what life looks like.

Joy comes only through Jesus (this blog post is so encouraging!).  So does love, peace, and thankfulness.  They are possible in every circumstance because Jesus is always faithful.

Which is why I've been trying to stop, be still, and know that He is God.  I've said that before, but it's so easy to lose sight and fall back into routine.  So I'm doing it again.























Dear friend, stop right now.  Look outside the window, open your ears to the sounds dancing through the air, let yourself be still.  And find Jesus.

I see Him right now in the beauty of the crape myrtils.  I hear His love through the music wrapping around me through the computer speakers.  I feel Him in the smooth pages of my Bible as my elbow rests upon it.  The sweet note made by a 7 year old's fingers that has a heart and I love you.  The brother who scribbles in his school book beside me.  The sound of late siblings finally finishing their breakfast.  That song that pops up and makes me stop everything to just sing.

*forces myself to stop singing and continue writing*

There's just so much Jesus when we open our eyes to His beauty and grace.  So many gifts.  So much Love.

And then I realize that He also gives us the chance to become that Love.

Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.  And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
 - Ephesians 5:1-2

I'm just overwhelmed.  Overwhelmed by the beauty He gives us.  And amazed that we can be a part of it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll forget again.  But right now, I'm thankful.  And, like my little sister, I just want to say, "thank you, Jesus."

What little pieces of Himself do you see?  Do you abide in Christ?  Because then, only then will you discover the truth of love, peace, thankfulness, and joy.

Dear friend, see His Love.  And be His Love.






















If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.
- Colossians 3:1-2 

And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
- Colossians 3:17
~♥~

16 comments:

  1. "Which is why I've been trying to stop, be still, and know that He is God. I've said that before, but it's so easy to lose sight and fall back into routine. So I'm doing it again." This. Yep yep yep. Something I have been thinking the past couple weeks!

    Also, reading your comments about this thought process started with your little sister made me smile and think of one of the participants at a special needs group I help with. This little girl (actually, she's in her twenties, but such a sweetie!) has certain phrases she loves to say all the time; one of them being "hallelujah", and every time she calls it out, I smile because she gets excited about the smallest things, but I also feel conviction, because shouldn't we all feel thankful for the little gifts from the Lord as well as the big?
    Rejoicing in Hope,
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome testimony, Bri, to get excited about the little things because of how much we love Jesus. ♥ Shouldn't we all be like that?! Jesus is the Giver of every good and perfect gift, and, if we are seeking Him, we should be overflowing with joy, love, thankfulness. Why do we ever choose to focus on ourselves?

      Thank you for sharing, sweet friend! Press on searching for Jesus with all your heart. =)

      Delete
  2. Wow, great post. Yeah, the other day I was listening to a song and it was saying let me want the healer more than the healing, help me want the Savior more than the saving, help me want You Jesus.
    Yes, see His love. Be His love. Stop and seek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes! I listened to that song recently too (Amy Grant, I believe?), and the concept made me think. Do we really want Him more than the healing and the saving? Or do we seek Him for our own gain? Another thought that has been on my mind... =)

      Turn your eyes upon Jesus, dear Sarah! He is fullness of joy, love, and all the fruits of the Spirit. ♥

      Delete
    2. Oh when you said that He is fullness of joy it made me think of another song! :D. Shane and Shane write songs that are pretty much straight from scripture... one of my favorites is Psalm 16 (Fullness of Joy).... it’s a beautiful song.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing! I'll make sure to listen to it, Sarah. =)

      Delete
  3. Amen. Such a beautiful and convicting post, Hosanna. I'm going to need to reread it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! Your post was so encouraging in this area of seeking Jesus instead of joy. Something I must continually force myself to remember and pray for. Thank you for the encouragement, dear friend!

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is so deep and I love it. True!..If you have Jesus in your heart everything will be complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this was encouraging to you today! Yes, Jesus is Joy, and in Him we can have fullness of that joy (Psalm 16:11). What wonderful promises He gives! I pray Christ reveals Himself to you as you diligently seek Him.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to see that there are still bloggers who write this kind of post. I love it! What I just realized lately was that Jesus will be the only one who can complete us. Which means all we need is in Him. Thanks for sharing beautiful post like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I am so glad that this post was encouraging to you! The truth of real joy is something I continue to learn every day - that He is enough. In Christ's presence is fullness of joy, and we will find that fulfillment no where else. Keep seeking Jesus, dear friend! I am cheering you on. =)

      Delete
  6. Hello Hosanna, I really love reading your blog. I can see how the Lord work on your life and shows how great He is. Please continue sharing post like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Junaid! God is so good and faithful to always provide, and I have seen that often in the ways He uses this blog to remind me of His truth. Never stop living for Jesus, friend!

      Delete
  7. I absolutely agree!Seek Ye first the kingdom of God and everything will follows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What powerful truth in that verse, Robert! Later it reads, "Seek and you will find." Jesus will be found if we search for Him with all our heart.

      Delete