Aug 27, 2019

Nura: a Letter from a Minor Character



Me: FIVE days until publishing!!!!

But first. The guest post.

Okay, so maybe I just love all The Torch Keepers' characters and want you to get to know every one of them.

*shrugs* That's pretty true. But I still think you absolutely HAVE to meet Nura, a priceless, young girl who lost her sight before she could remember. Somehow though, she sees better than I do.

This little girl has gone through a lot, but she's more beautiful because of it. She loves the King. And now I asked her to narrate her story to me. So here 'tis.

(and I caught her in a talkative mood, which is rare! So enjoy that.)  =)






















Nura's Story


Okay, can we start now?


Me: Yup, go right ahead!


Oh, then I'm ready. *giggles* Should I start with "once upon a time" or somethin' else?


Me: Whatever you want!


This will be fun! *clasps hands together*

Once upon a time, my mama had a baby. It was me!

But that was a long, long, long time ago. And I didn't get to see my mama for a long time. There was a big stormI'm scared of stormsand Mama and I were stuck in it. But 'Dira saved me. I am sad though, 'cuz Mama died. I miss her.

*brightens* I'm still happy though! There's lots of pretty things that make me happy. Like the stories 'Dira tells me. She tells me about the flowers and trees and sunshine 'cause I can't see them. And she says the sunshine looks like me, 'cause my name means "light." I smile when she says that. *giggles*

My favorite things are flowers and creeks and the woods and rain and dancing and lots of things. I like pink too ('cause 'Dira likes that best). Oh, and all my family. I love Gamma and Father and 'Dira and Ike and everyone else. Even Faine (but he needs to laugh more). He's super serious and grumpy. *hides laugh*

But the bestest thing is the King. I never met 'im, but I still like 'im a whole lot. Because He loves me. Sometimes I think about that. The King is so big and strong and brave, but He likes mea tiny girl who has eyes that don't work!

I tell 'im lots of secrets. And He listens too! When I'm scared, He keeps me safe, and He gives me lots of good gifts (like sunshine).

Some people say the King is far away and doesn't listen to us, but that's silly. Because lots of times He does! When I talk to 'im, He always answers me. Not because I'm super smart or anything. He just loves people. Even tiny ones. Even ones that have eyes that don't work.

The King loves everyone. That's the bestest thing.

He loves me and you and everyone else. And Gamma tells me that He has good plans. Like that storm that took away my mama. The King still had a plan then. That's why I still smile; 'cause He loves me!

So... um... oh no, I can't 'fink of anythin' else. Is this okay?


Me: This is perfect! Thank you, Nura.


You're welcome. Goodbye everyone *waves*. You should go dance or pick some flowers now. I'm gonna. If 'Dira will take me, I mean.


Me: Have fun! *folds letter* 

So there she is. That little girl holds a piece of me that somehow grown-ups forget to express.

The idea that Jesus really loves. That He really answers prayer. That He really is good.

We forget. We get distracted.

That's why I love Nura. She remembers the truthsees iteven with her blind eyes.

So go live the adventure. Savor it. For our King.  ♥





The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

~♥~

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I can't wait to get to know Nura better! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, beautiful friend!! Nura, in her older years, reminds me a lot of your sweet heart. ♥

      Delete