May 28, 2019

This is Why God is Good


A few weeks ago, I said goodbye to a friend, and I thought it was forever.  We had met through a program that she was now graduating out of.  And so I sat down and wrote a card to her.  On the top were the big, painful words:  Final Letter.

But it wasn't, somehow.  God brought us together through another avenue, and my Spanish friend sent me an online message.  As we chatted back and forth, she exclaimed over how she loves God and is seeking Him and is so thankful.  I smiled and responded in Spanish.

"Sí, Dion is tan bueno!"    (Yes, God is so good!)

My fingers paused on the keyboard, waiting.  She began to type back, and a message popped up.  This one was in English.

"Me too and tell me how."

The translation messed up the grammar, but I understood her question.  And I sat there for a minute, not sure how to respond.

Because we say God is good.  We try to sound Christian by using the expression over and over again.  We even use it as excuses for when we've had bad days but still try to sound okay.  

God is good.

But how?

























Today I read a beautiful psalm that's actually not in Psalm at all.  It's found in 1 Chronicles.

Oh, give thanks to the LORD!
Call upon His name;
Make known His deeds among the peoples!

It continues,


...Talk of all His wondrous works!
Glory in His holy name...
Remember His marvelous works which He has done,
His wonders, and the judgments of His mouth.

After the beginning of the piece, David does exactly what he tells us to do.  Going back through history, he recounts why God is good.  David talks of God's glorious works, from rebuking kings, protecting His people, and confirming His promises.

 And, in the end, the people respond.

And all the people said, "Amen!" and praised the LORD.
- 1 Chronicles 16:36 

Is that us?

Do we talk of God's wondrous works?  Do our lives show that we are glorying in His holy name?  Do we even remember the times He answered our prayers?

It's true:  Dios es tan bueno.  He is so good.  All the time.

Can you tell me how?  And do you live like it?

Recently, I met a guy who didn't stop talking about Jesus, about the Holy Spirit, how He is working in the man's life, and how thankful he is for God's direction and grace.  And I wondered: if I truly love God, won't I do the same?  Do I talk more about myself than the God I am dedicated to?

I want my life to be a continual outpouring of His grace.  Or in more practical words:

I want to reflect Jesus, not myself.

To talk like Him.  Love like Him.  Smile like Him.

I want to be like Jesus to this broken, hurting world, bringing shalom to the hearts that are hungering for hope.

























There's a common phrase in our house that someone always says when we head out on errands or any other trip:  Remember to be Jesus!  That's my goal.  Not to become Him, but to be so much like Him that I reflect the way He lived.

God is good.  But my beautiful, Spanish friend reminded me that it's more than just saying it.  How is He good to me?  And do I live like it?

My answer could be a mile long.  God is good because He gives me hope.  Courage.  He brought me a job when I was seeking His wisdom in that decision.  He drew me through the long years of school to soon graduate and move to new adventures.  He gives me a future.  He never leaves me.  He helps me overcome every "impossible" trial and issue I face.

God is good, so good.

Dear friend, it's your turn.  We follow a good, faithful God; tell me how.  How is He working, how is He strong in your life?

But more so.  Let's live like it.  Let's live like we truly believe God is good.  And go tell the world.  Find someone and share why God is good.  Then find someone else.

Share the Gospel by sharing how Jesus is working.  Start with one person and be Jesus in their life.

And wherever you go - remember to be Jesus.
























Give to the LORD, O families of the peoples,
Give to the LORD glory and strength.
Give to the LORD the glory due His name...
Oh worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness!
- 1 Chronicles 16:28-29


~ ♥~

6 comments:

  1. There are so many verses in the Bible that express to remember what God has done... such as Psalm 77 starting in verses 11. When we remember what God has done we won't want to do anything but praise Him!
    Yes, He is good. But we need to remember why He's good.
    Thanks for this reminder, Hosanna! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Psalms are so full of praises to God; what encouragement! Thank you for this sweet comment, Sarah. You're such a blessing! Always shine for our awesome God, my friend. ♥

      Delete
  2. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! I have nothing else to add but Amen. Amen over and over and over. This is so true, and I REALLY need to strive for it because I struggle with this, as we probably all do at some point in our lives.

    Thank you, again, Hosanna, for this!! <333 You are such a star for Him.

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Praise God!! That's so encouraging, Lily! Remember to be Jesus and always seek Him, dear friend. ♥

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJune 04, 2019

    Hi! I came across your blog and I seen you wrote a novel. One of my blog friends has wrote a review about one of your novels. You can read it at: https://musingsbyellen.blogspot.com/p/book-reviews.html.

    ~Lilly
    tidbitsofahomeschoolgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know, Lilly! And I'm so glad you stopped by this little blog. ♥

      Delete